Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Why?

So tomorrow I begin chemotherapy to rid my body of cancer. I have a multitude of thoughts swirling in my head, some of which I will write about at a later date. But today, I thought I’d try to verbalize (mostly for my own benefit) some thoughts I have about the “why” question.

Shanda has asked me why I thought this might be happening to us. I told her I didn’t know. I haven’t struggled with this question as much as I thought I might. I am not going to worry about the “why” question because I don’t yet have a good answer for the “why not” question. Why shouldn’t this be happening to me? I have no answer.

Shanda and I did get an encouraging email this week about the “why” question, though. A friend had been reading about Jesus ministering to a widow and raising her son from the dead. (Please go read
Luke 7:11-16.)

Here’s what Beth Moore had to say about this situation….

"Jesus ran into a woman in hopeless despair and just reacted with what came most naturally to Him- healing mercy. I believe we possibly have a small glimpse into what Christ would do in every one of our despairing situations if a greater plan was not at stake. I believe what comes most naturally to Christ every time He encounters need is to instantly fix it. Is it possible He exercises great restraint to work any other way in the face of devastation? I think so.

A plan of profound importance exists that sometimes overrides the miracle we so desperately desire. But I am comforted to know that instantaneous healing and resurrection power come even more naturally to our Christ than waiting and working through long but necessary processes. The biggest reason why I can trust God in the sovereignty of God is because I am so utterly convinced of the sweetness of God."

Hmm. “A plan of profound importance…”

I don’t think it is mere coincidence that I just taught a Sunday School lesson on what this plan might be. We have been discussing the story of Lazarus in our group for a few weeks. Perhaps you remember the story (in
John 11:1-44). Jesus’ good friend is sick and dying. Mary and Martha send word to him to come, but he doesn’t. He delays. By the time he gets there, Lazarus is dead and more than a few folks are asking their own versions of “why” questions. In this story, Jesus repeatedly explains that His actions are for the sake of their faith. (See verses 14-15, 25-26, 40, and 41-42 for at least four such occasions.)

Perhaps Jesus’ first inclination is to rush to his friend and heal him immediately. But He delays and allows Lazarus to die because of something greater – the faith of those who knew and loved Lazarus.

Perhaps Jesus’ first inclination is to rush to my side and heal me quickly and painlessly, if not miraculously. But maybe He’ll delay because of something greater – my faith and the faith of those around me.

So as I start my journey tomorrow – a long 6 months or so, spending a third of my time in the hospital, fighting off fatigue and pain, wishing for time with my friends and family, and mourning the loss of a “normal” life – I cherish your prayers. But in addition to these temporary and earthly concerns (as valid as they are), please pray for more eternal and spiritual matters. Pray that I will grow in my own faith. Pray that I will be an encouragement to other believers. Pray that non-Christians will be drawn to Jesus.

Thank you!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. New,

I know everything will be fine. Before you know it, you will be done with all of this. Michelle and I are still praying for you and your family.

-The Zeb
James 1:2-4

david b mclaughlin said...

all i know is years after his trials Job went to his grave never knowing getting an answer to the why question.

I actually find a weird comfort in that.

Anonymous said...

I have found that even if I did get an answer to the "why", it is usually not a good enough answer. I just don't ask anymore and have found peace in just being in the moment. I pray you and Shanda will have the peace that passes all understanding!

Anonymous said...

Although I firmly believe in, have been a recipient of and unashamedly ask for miracles, I also know that miracles do not produce character. Just ask the Israelites. So how about I pray for both to be realized in you: a more Christ-like character AND a healing miracle!
LLL

Anonymous said...

Aaron I just heard about your cancer diagnosis. I don't know if you remember me but I work with your mom at Levy. I remember watching you and your sister grow up, marry and have your own children. I am a four year cancer survivor and I know that it can be scary when you first get the diagnosis. I found my strength in God and my family and friends. I was lucky and had an early diagnosis and only had minor surgery and radiation. I know that you have a long road ahead of you and prayers will be sent your way for the chemo to eradicate all the cancer.

Anonymous said...

A -

You should know that before you even get started, that your faith and what you are going through is touching at least one of us around you. I have really been taking a look at myself for the last few weeks and finding that it is time to re-evaluate how strong my walk actually is. Thank you for the example you set for me everyday.

-sk

Craig Smith said...

You should expect about 47% more traffic to your site from females now that you have referenced Beth Moore.

I am thinking about selling some bracelets that read WWBMD.

I like to think about Mordecai and Esther when I have the "why" questions come up in my life. Maybe I am in this place for such a time...

But usually I just think "eloi..."

Anonymous said...

Where could I get one of those bracelets?

-Zeb

Anonymous said...

I have had the great pleasure of knowing you mom at Levy for 20 years. As Pam Amott has done I have followed you through those years. Along with your mom I have watched my children marry and give my husband and me the the joy of grandchildren. I can only begin to know the agony of watching your child and family suffer through such a hard time. From knowing you and your family through your mom I know what strength and great faith your family has and the role that will play in your recovery. Please know that I will think of you and say a prayer each day for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Dr. New, I just heard about your cancer and went to your blog to see if you had anything to say about it. What I read amazed me. You really should let your transparent self show more often. You are a very strong person in the faith and it shows in your writing. I will send up prayers for you, your wife, and the boys. There is nothing I can say that you don't already know, so Stand Firm in the faith that you described in your blog. Do know this; if you need anything,house cleaning, someone to run errands, whatever, just let me know. In the meantime, you have my prayers going up. Just let me know if you need anything. Deb

Bryan Cox said...

No advice Doc, I am praying, you are a warrior. Right on. God bless

Anonymous said...

Dr. New,
I wanted to let you know that you, Shanda, and the boys have constantly been in my prayers. I had been on a facebook hiatus and came back and read your blog entries. I just wanted to say that I am so blessed by the strength that you have shown and the tremendous faith that you have been showing in Christ--a positive attitude makes all of the difference in the world! My grandmother has had non-hodgkins lymphoma for almost 10 years and has been in treatment and done remarkably well. Turns out, she was at a regularly scheduled appointment this week and was talking with her oncologist about how so many peole had been diagnosed recently. She mentioned you and how it broke her heart--guess what? Ya'll are at the same clinic, so I KNOW you are in great hands!

I just wanted to say that you are such an inspiration to all of us around you,and we can't wait to see you healthy and vibrant in the fall!

Holly B.

Craig Smith said...

Newest developments on the WWBMD bracelets:
- apparently I have stumbled onto a money maker! However, only two groups are purchasing said bracelets. Woman for the Beth Moore connection and then the elderly. They think it stands for We Want Bowel Movements, Dangit!

Anonymous said...

I was very sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations.Iam a 2 year surviver of Ovarian cancer. I asked why also, still not sure why. What I do know is that a lot of people prayed for me and my family.I was also taken very good care of by not only family members but, friends and church members. I know this will make you stronger. .I will keep you and your family in my prayers