Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, June 11, 2007

Close Friends

I’m having the good fortune of spending time with close friends this summer. Ya’ll know I spent several days hanging out and fishing with some guys in Texas. And my wife and I will get to spend 3 days with two other couples and their kids at a house on Table Rock Lake pretty soon.

The longer I live, the more I appreciate God’s gift of good friends. They make life rich and full. I’ve been blessed with the opportunities to share life, with all its’ ups and downs, with good friends. I’ve shared in things like…..


- celebrating the joys of having babies and raising kids
- suffering the losses of ectopic pregnancies and miscarriages
- suffering the loss of a newborn
- celebrating the joys of new jobs and promotions
- suffering the losses of getting fired or kicked out of garduate school
- celebrating great personal accomplishments
- suffering the losses of murdered friends and family members in church
- celebrating God’s healing and grace in corporate worship

Lots of laughs.
Lots of tears.
More of both than I can remember. And both have been better when shared with close friends.

So, I got to thinking……… How do you know if your friends are really close friends?

Shanda and I have learned that your friends are close friends when you can spend 3 full days in the same house with them on vacation and you actually look forward to it.

I learned from my fishing trips in Texas that your friends are close friends if you can all wash your underwear together in the same washer and dryer and no one thinks anything of it.

So, you share your definition of close friends. Fill in the blank.

You know your friends are close friends when _________________.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know your friends are close friends when...

- you haven't seen each other in ages, but as soon as you are together again, you pick up right where you left off without skipping a beat.

- you think you are the two funniest people on the planet (I learned this from watching our moms.) :)

- you think their kids are cute instead of annoying.

- they aren't baseball fans, but are willing to sit through 4 days of Yankees/Royals baseball games with you just so you can drool over Derek Jeter and then help you stalk him after the game.

- you can ask them to pray for you with the confidence that when they say "yes" you know they actually will do it.

Anonymous said...

They keep believing in you when you don't even believe in yourself.
They give you time to get yourself back together.

Anonymous said...

you can be 100% yourself around them....even the ugly, crappy, "nobody wants to be around you" parts of yourself.

Anonymous said...

you can call them at 3:00 AM and they wake up quickly and completely and would jump in the car and drive over immediately if they needed too and never even ask why. Just because they know you are in need.

Anonymous said...

you share memories thru the years that will never be forgotten. Like you said Aaron memories of joys and heartaches........ but memories that help shape us into the person we are and hopefully the person God wants us to be. Family and friends are indeed our greatest blessings in this life.

Anonymous said...

Some times friends are the only family we have.
L.

Scott said...

You know your friends are close friends when you can sit around the table playing Sequence and laugh as hard as you have ever laughed in your life.

I know my friends are close friends when I get that "homesick" feeling in my stomach the Monday after our trip that I got as a kid after visiting my Dad for 6 weeks during each summer. It is the same feeling I get when I don't see my wife or kids for several days. I can't explain it, but I know it is God telling me he has given me and my family something special!

Thanks A, for everything. SK

Aaron New said...

You know your friends are close friends when....

You learn more about their digestive system than you ever wanted to know, and you find it funny.

You are dying to see the lion dance.

You start to dig their Broncos tattoo.

They will smell the shirt you're wearing to see if you stink.

You start building a repetoire of inside jokes that know one else will find funny.

AN