Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tumor Rumor

The Conway Cancer Foundation has a newsletter they publish periodically - The Tumor Rumor. The next issue is going to highlight issues of religion and faith as they relate to cancer and treatment. I have been asked, along with a couple of other gentlemen, to submit a short article describing my own experience. I am going to post a draft below for your your review. You have one day to offer any suggestions for improvements or corrections - I don't want to teach any heresy.

First let me share my purpose in writing. I am NOT attempting to lay out a plan of salvation for readers, nor am I attempting to make a defense of the Christian faith compared to others. Those are appropriate activities, just not here in The Tumor Rumor. My goal is to encourage readers to examine their own faith journey and perhaps plant some seeds. I want to encourage dialogue amongst people struggling with their faith in the midst of cancer. Having said that, read the short article below and tell me what you think (and remember I had a word limit- which I have already exceeded).

For most of the twentieth century, folks in my field of study have been hostile towards religion and spiritual faith. Many early psychiatrists and psychologists believed that religion was a cause of mental disturbances or that only those with mental disturbances turned to religion. This has always been at odds with patients and clients who have described their faith as a healthy and sustaining factor in the midst of their ailments. And it has only been in the past two decades that researchers have noted the positive role of religion in both general medicine and mental health. Allow me to very briefly describe how my own religious faith has sustained me in the midst of my cancer and chemotherapy.

My faith has provided me with a healthy perspective on life – my past, present, and future. My faith reminds me that nothing I’ve done previously in life gives me a pass from sad or painful conditions. It’s not like I should be exempt from bad things. In fact, if anything, I deserve far worse than I ever get. And whatever I have to deal with in the midst of my cancer and treatment, there are others of faith that have persevered in the face of situations monumentally worse than mine. My faith also reminds me that my current hardships can prove to be beneficial. The Scriptures tell us that we have to suffer in order to develop perseverance, that we have to develop perseverance in order to develop character, and that we have to develop character in order to live a life of hope. And I desperately want to live a life of hope. Finally, my faith gives me perspective on the future. My worst case scenario is that I do not survive the cancer and I get to be with Jesus. I understand fully that this would be tremendously difficult for my family to deal with. But I also know that God loves my family more than I do and He knows how to care for them.

My faith has also provided me with a quiet strength to deal with the stress and strain of cancer and chemotherapy. Hearing and reading God’s Word helps me to dwell on things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good reputation, excellent, and worthy of praise. Dwelling on the negative is not productive or healthy. God’s Word also reminds me that nothing at all (not even cancer or death) can separate me from His love. I sense God’s presence when I pray – reminding me that He is with me, not necessarily removing pain, sadness, heartache, and grief, but walking that journey with me. And I feel my spirit lift when I sing songs that honor and worship my Creator.

Finally, my faith has kept me connected to others in deep and meaningful ways. I believe that we are created to be a part of a community. Not a neighborhood or a club, but a group of others into whom we can pour our lives and to whom we can open up for their own pouring. We are created for rich and significant relationships with other believers. My faith has allowed me to be ministered to in countless ways. I have visitors nearly every day – most who know how and when to cheer me up with humor, to check on my spiritual walk, to inquire about my family, and more. We are blessed with friends who bring meals to us 2 to 3 times each week. We have friends who watch our children whenever we need them. We have been especially blessed by close friends as well as Christians we don't yet know who have given thousands of dollars to help us meet our real and practical financial needs. These folks pray for and with us. They care about us. They love us. And this has made all the difference in the world.

Obviously this is not an exhaustive list of the benefits of faith. And others would describe their experiences differently, I’m sure. But these three areas of faith – perspective, strength, and connection – have proven to be anchors for me. And whether we are living in the midst of the chaos of cancer or the regular routines of life, we all need anchors to keep us steady.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I like it, very encouraging. I think it speaks directly to the hearts of believers alike, and stirrs the spirits of those who might not have the same faith. :) I give it an "A"

Anonymous said...

Aaron, I am so deeply imporessed with your thoughts on Tumor Rumor. I especially am encouraged and uplifted by the ideas you present on things that are lovely and pure. Negativity is so prevalent among our society. It seems that no one is able to look at adversity and trials and tribulations, be they health, finances, jobs, families, or any of a myriad of others, without being drawn down into the despair and discouragement and lack of hope and faith that these situations bring into lives. Your input and insight into how you personally have dealt with your health issue in view of your faith is something that i think everyone can look at and go yeah he is right. Thank you for all your openess and sharing.

Anonymous said...

Well said Bro. New. You're thoroughly Christ-centered in your approach and that is soul-satisfying as nothing else could ever be. Grace and peace to you and your.

Anonymous said...

Last paragraph should read "list of benefits of faith" not "or" faith...

Way to be Salt and Light Aaron! Press On.

Aaron New said...

Good catch, Anony. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

I am so proud of you! The article reveals your heart and I know God will use it to encourage so many others that are traveling down a similar road.
I love you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Aaron. It is a gift to be able to say so much in a small amount of space. Your writing is memorable. My only suggestion: if there is any way to reference the Scriptures you paraphrased, that might be a great tool for someone who is searching.
Amber

andy titus said...

Hey Bro. Good article. I won't give any advice on the gramatical aspects of your work (I really ain't good at that). I think that your substance is EXCELLENT though. It is an honest well thought out piece that shows who you are very well, and it is written in your voice. Keep up the good work!

Peas on Earth said...

nice job. i pray that God uses it to the fullest for His purposes. :-)

Anonymous said...

You mentioned 'religious faith' early on. For those of us who know Christ, I think we could define the word 'faith' but I'm wondering, for the readers of Tumor Rumor, if an aditional sentence or two (length permitting) would be helpful to define your faith....what is it...in whom is it placed. Just a thought. (the benefits you listed are right on!)

Anonymous said...

That was great! I think that it sounds like its from the heart (just like it is!!!

terry kimbrow said...

Well said, Doc. I know I am past the official comment time but all I want to do is encouarge you and tell you what a great job you did in expressing your feelings in a clear and concise way. I know it will help a lot of people. Thanks for sharing. TK

Anonymous said...

Oh, Aaron. I love you. I'm not sure if it is the late hour (11:34pm), the glass of wine I just had (Cabernet), or the fact that we have baby pics together (me: fat, you: little toddler glasses), but your article made me cry. I think about you and pray for you all the time. You weaved Jesus through your story perfectly.