Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Swirling Vortex of Doom

Running my cousin’s 3-wheeler into a barbed-wire fence.
Buying a country music CD.
Shattering my own windshield while replacing a wiper blade.
Trying to grow a goatee.
Going to the bathroom with poison ivy on my hands.

I’ve made a ton of mistakes in my life. Most of them have been relatively inconsequential – thank goodness. God is good to us that way. We get lots of grace. But some of our mistakes, even the small ones, have terrible consequences.

This is especially true with our words. The smallest of mistakes with the words we use with someone can have lifelong effects. This shouldn’t be any surprise to us. James 3:1-12 reminds us of the power and danger of our words. “See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!" (vs. 5)

I was reminded of how small mistakes can have huge consequences this weekend when I heard the story of Lake Peigneur in Louisiana. In 1980, it was a small freshwater lake only 6 to 11 feet deep. A drilling company began drilling operations from the lake, but after drilling some 1300 feet below the lake, they ran into trouble.

Click
here or here for the full story. Click here for a video segment.

Here’s the short story. The drilling company hit a salt mine below the lake. Water started to rush into the salt mine, dissolving the salt pillars and collapsing the salt dome. A whirlpool began in the lake that eventually sucked down the oil rig, 11 barges, a tugboat, trailers, trucks, trees, and who knows what else. The lake typically drained into the Gulf of Mexico 12 miles away through a canal. Once this swirling vortex of doom began, the water in the canal reversed directions. Water from the Gulf of Mexico filled in the salt mine and lake. Lake Peigneur is now 1300 feet deep instead of 11. And the saltwater drastically changed the biology of the lake.

All of that from a 14 inch drilling bit.

I’ve got to be more careful with my words.
And poison ivy.

AN

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mixed in with thousands of forgotten words we speak every day are those words that penetrate deep in others minds and hearts. Those words mostly effect those who truly are somehow vested in our lives. Those words effecting either in a positive or negative way. It seems that people on the whole worry less about the words spoken to their family less than anyone else. Why is that? Those words I'm afraid are rememebered the longest and effect us the most. Saying "I'm sorry " is important but somehow never compelely
erases the pain.

LP.

Anonymous said...

Amazing story about the lake. I've been trying to think of a example of where careless words started such a "whirlpool" of destruction. Would be interested in hearing some stories.

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing...I get together with a couple girlfriends each Wednesday night for a Bible Study. We've been studying James and this week we were looking at these verses in chapter 3. The lake was a great visual to be able to share with them.

There is one problem I have with your entry though...a mistake to buy a country music cd? Is that possible?! :)

Anonymous said...

Obviously I was not working on that rig - I would have been able to prevent it!!! Great way to tie it into life application. Looking forward to more.

Bret Barre'
S.M.O.D. 2007 Recipient
President/CEO/CFO S.M.O.D.
Cofounder S.M.O.D.
(Also Gamma Radiation MWD Engineer)

Aaron New said...

Good words, LP. We often treat family members worse than our acquaintances or even strangers, don't we?

Aaron New said...

Jill,

Any country CD purchased is due to (1) brainwashing by the country music industry, (2) mental illness, (3) impaired judgment due to drugs/alcohol, or (4) imparied judgment due to trying to impress a girl.

I guess mine falls closest to category 4. The CD is "The Best of Restless Heart" and I purchased it way back in the day because it has a song "The Bluest Eyes in Texas." Shanda has blue eyes. And I was in love. Or crazy. or something.

AN

Anonymous said...

aaron.I think you are trying to start a fight or cause pain with your "words" about country music. I think I am deeply hurt by them.

Anonymous said...

Restless Heart? Do they have enough hits to have a “best of” album? I can think of 3…and "The Bluest Eyes in Texas" isn’t one of them. If you are basing your country music cd buying habits on that one cd purchase, you may want to try again. There are a lot of really good artists out there. Brad Paisley (tons of cleverly written songs about everyday life…not all the stereotypical my dog died, my wife left me, I lost my job stuff…), Martina McBride (fellow Kansan – surely you can appreciate her!), Little Jimmie Dickens (May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose – the first country music song I ever learned.) :) No brainwashing involved…no mental illness…no drugs or alcohol (except Brad Paisley’s song which talks about all the effects of alcohol…quite funny.) The only type of music that has impaired my judgment due to trying to impress a guy was Metallica and that worked for about a millisecond. Was Shanda impressed by your country music cd inspired by her blue eyes?

Aaron New said...

Jill,

I don't remember that long ago. But I'm sure Shanda just rolled her eyes at me for being a goober. She does that alot.

AN

Anonymous said...

good morning dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging for the sake of that exact model. The prices seeking the boots were about 300 pounds everwhere. But for all I set this site selling them for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

hi there everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging as far as something that exact make. The prices as regards the velcros are approximately 220 bucks on every page. But completely I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order these. what do you think?