Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, May 25, 2007

Impressing the Girls

There is a part of a guy’s life that is both a little pathetic and amusing. We are always trying to impress the girls. And it starts early.

Parker is spending the day with a friend from his preschool today. She is a smart and cute little girl. Shanda overheard Parker say this morning, “Hey, Candyce, I can bench 220.”

I’m still laughing.

I don’t know if this is how it went, but here’s how I picture it. Parker is sitting across from Candyce at the table. He puffs up his chest and crosses his arms Uncle Rico style and gives Candyce a slight bob of the head. He then delivers what he believes to be the one thing sure to win her approval. He can bench 220.

Another friend of mine is training for a marathon. He said that his running times vary depending on how many girls are out running that day, too. He’ll pick up his pace a little bit as he runs by the girls. Once they are out of sight, he slows it back down. And I can’t poke too much fun at him for doing it. I think a lot of guys would do the same.

Every guy can list some of the stupid things they have done just to impress the girls. Anybody want to share some of theirs? I like for people to put their names on their comments, but I understand widespread use of the anonymous function for this one….

AN

8 comments:

Craig Smith said...

Fifth grade (1985). I am trying to impress Stephanie Arnold at Skatetown for the monthly Hayes Elementary School skate day. The DJ at Skatetown is blaring Glenn Frey's THE HEAT IS ON. I am trying to impress her and I pass her and try to turn around in a circle to make sure she knows I am thinking about her. As I turn around I lose control and end up faceplanting into the wall. Lost two teeth. Blood everywhere. As I nursed my freshly swollen lips, she skated to Chicago's YOU'RE MY INSPIRATION on the couples only skate with Todd Gungoll. That whore.

Aaron New said...

Easy, Big Craig.... Don't make me turn on the comments moderator.

AN

Anonymous said...

men you never learn do you..................women aren't impressed by how "much" you press how "fast" you run or how "fancy" you skate. We are impressed if you are just "doing" it. We want men "in" the race...winning or being best isn't what really matters. winning or being outstanding would just be a little bonus. Striving to improve now that is what really impresses us.

JK

Anonymous said...

The best baseball games I ever played were when that "special" girl was watching. But was she the cause or was it just a coincidence? It happened too many times to be merely a coincidence. The ladies bring out the best in a man! That being said, I think Parker could probably bench 220, as long as the admiring eyes of a little girl were planted on him.

Aaron New said...

Now here is a story of a man who can impress the girls!

AN

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing