Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, May 4, 2007

How Rich Are You?

(from "The Three Amigos" 4/23/07)

I have a running list of things I want to purchase. It’s not a written list, because that would be too blatantly and obviously materialistic. But I have a secret mental list of things I want to buy someday soon.

A high-definition TV
A Nintendo Wii
3 new pairs of shoes (for work,
basketball, and goofing around)
There are always CDs I want (I have 4 in mind right now)
A new sofa and loveseat
New bedroom furniture
A new mountain bike
New sunglasses
And have you seen my bookshelves? There are always books I want.

None of this includes the things I actually NEED to buy soon. Like a new set of tires to replace the ones with metal showing under the tread. I don’t pay much attention to that list, though. It’s no fun.

But I don’t have enough money for all this stuff. So I sometimes think of ways to earn just a little extra cash. You know, a little extra money just to splurge with. And I think how nice it would be to earn just a few thousand extra in salary every year.

Then I come across a site like this.
The Global Rich List.

From the site:
“Every year we gaze enviously at the lists of the richest people in world, wondering what it would be like to have that sort of cash. But where would you sit on one of those lists? Here's your chance to find out.”

Check it out for yourself. Be sure to select the $ as you enter your income.

1 comment:

david b mclaughlin said...

i thought your list wasnt written?