Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Catching Fish and Catching Up

I’m back! The break was good, but I missed blogging last week. I’m back in the saddle now, though.

Each year (for four years now), I’ve been invited to
Rockport, TX to go fishing with a 3 other very good friends. It is a great time and I’ll blog someday about what this trip is really all about for me.

For now, think of it this way…. Put together one psychology professor/counselor, one engineer with some kind of triple-double top secret military clearance, one theologian turned sales manager, and one insurance salesman turned drilling equipment representative. The conversations range from serious, challenging, and profound all the way to utterly ridiculous and completely juvenile.

Throw in one guy’s parents who wait on us like we were royalty,
The Boiling Pot restaurant, 4 days of fishing in the bay during the day, cards and movies at night, and you get a really, really, good time. Honestly, it’s more fun than an adult should probably be allowed to have.

It’s funny how guys can make anything into a competition. Each year we decide on a winner and a loser of our fishing tournament. We can’t just go fishing for the love of fishing, I guess. So we developed a system of points. 1 point for catching a game fish (usually trout and redfish, but we’ve also caught snappers and flounders). Catfish, stingrays, crabs, and rocks do not count. 2 points if the fish is big enough to be a keeper. 3 points if the fish falls into our arbitrarily defined “big” category.

For the record, the winners have been.

2004 – Aaron
2005 – Brett
2006 – Aaron
2007 – Brett

Thom and Matt have been embarrassed because they are the ones who actually are fishermen. They have all their own equipment and claim to know what they’re doing. Brett and I are fishing idiots (or we were before 2004). Brett came in 2005 with the book “Fishing for Dummies” (no kidding). The pressure is mounting for Thom or Matt to bring in a victory soon.

Just as significant to us is who comes in LAST, because the loser has to let the world know just how bad his fishing is -- that they fish like a girl (no offense meant toward the better gender). For example, one year the loser had to put a hot pink “Punk Princess” bumper sticker on his car for two weeks and another year it was a bright “Girl Power” bumper sticker. We’ve yet to settle on a sticker for this year, but I’m sure it will be just as conspicuous.

I’ve got ideas for several blog posts swimming around in my head, some serious and some not so much. I’m looking forward to catching up.

AN

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to have you back! No fish is safe when you're around! Of course, no squirrel is safe when you're driving.

Anonymous said...

Oh man....I want to go. My wife doesn't even want me going to the river for fear I will actually bring a fish back or that I will fall in. For the record, did you come in last? Should I look for the bumper sticker? We can make a contest out of anything can't we? We all want to be the big winner. That's why women always shake their heads at us.

Craig Smith said...

Aaron...Robert Randolph...live.

Lunch on Friday?

Anonymous said...

Let me say that in my defense it was a bad weekend for fishing - a front came through and the fish laid down and went to sleep. Next year will be different! Maybe that's how you can tell a real fisherman - he can explain away his inadequacies in pseudo-fishing terms!

Thom

Anonymous said...

Let me just say (no defense needed) it was a great weekend for fishing - a front came through and the fish laid down infront of my bait to eat! Hopefully next year will be different. I think you can tell a "real fisherman" by the ability to actually catch fish! I know it is deep - let it swim around for a bit!

Bret Barre'
S.M.O.D. 2007 Recipient
President/CEO/CFO S.M.O.D.
Cofounder S.M.O.D.

Aaron New said...

Anonymous,

I came in second place. And it was a close race the whole way.

Ya'll might notice that Brett is the 2007 S.M.O.D. recepient. I'll blog the story of "SMOD" someday.

AN

Anonymous said...

OK enough about fish and the ever present quest for winning. You do have some female readers. Ha!

K.

Anonymous said...

fishing in Arkansas can be fun, noodling for catfish that's the type of contest that separates the men from the boys plus you don't need any fancy equipment.

L.

Anonymous said...

I have a very hard time trusting any of the fishing stories told by the fishermen in this group!