Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, May 28, 2007

Making an Impact, Revisited

In an earlier post, we discussed Larry Crabb’s assertion that we are all built with a desire to make an impact. Larry described this as a desire to do something valuable and well, to be adequate for a meaningful task. In the comments section, our conversation quickly turned away from this task-oriented definition to a more person-oriented one. That is, in discussing the desire to “make an impact,” we all immediately began to think of how we impact people.

I wonder if that is because all of us understand, at least at a gut level, that making an impact on people is more important than doing something well. Connecting and relating to others in meaningful ways is more important than succeeding at a task, even when the task is good, valuable, and worthwhile. And by “more important” I don’t just mean in the eternal-scheme-of-things kind of way. I mean it is more important for our own well-being, for our own growth, for nourishing our own soul – to connect and relate to others in deep and profound ways.

It has been interesting to follow Larry Crabb’s writings over the years. There has definitely been a shift in his thinking about psychology and counseling. In fact, I think Crabb would have appreciated our discussion of impacting people, because this is exactly the focus of his later writings.

Crabb says that for too long Christian counselors have focused on one of two approaches in dealing with human problems: (1) The problem is a stubborn will and we ought to assist people in doing what is right through Scriptural instruction and exhortation. (2) The problem is psychological damage and we ought to help people fix what is wrong through self-awareness and the development of insight.

Crabb offers a third alternative. For him, the problem is a disconnected soul and we ought to pour our lives into them in deep, profound, and intimate ways – where “the life of Christ in one person is poured into another and awakens in the emptiest recesses of that other person’s soul the experience of life.”

This is far easier said than done, but this is what our souls were created for – connecting with others. To make an impact on others, we ought to follow God’s example. Here is Crabb again:

"…Like most Christians, I've put a great deal of stock in self-awareness and self-discipline. Know yourself and choose wisely…. It's become clear to me, though, that God handles things a bit differently…. The absolute center of what he does to help us change is to reveal himself to us, to give us a taste of what he's really like, and to pour his life into us.... God's method is neither to merely issue commands from the general's tent (do what's right) nor to improve the functioning of diseased organs (fix what's wrong).... God doesn't fix us or pressure us. He does whatever it takes to reveal himself to us. That may include probing deeply into our messy hearts or insisting we do something we really don't want to do. But the core purpose is always the same, not to repair or exhort us, but to draw us into a fuller appreciation of himself."

What do ya’ll make of all that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are completely right when you say that most of us feel like making a worthwhile impact comes from touching the very soul of someone. Not doing something. A cure for certain types of cancer would certainly impact the medical world and change those people lives that have cancer but it's when we impact someones emotions and thinking causing them perhaps to make changes for the better now that is IMPACT. Christ dying on the cross certainly impacts our lives but it was His love and forgiveness of our sins that put him there. That is what makes the greatest impact. God could have used a different means to provide the sacrifice necessary but His love and forgiveness would have remained the same. I want the things I "do" to be worthwhile and worthy but more important I want my motives and love to be worthwhile and worthy. Making an impact is not easy and a moment by moment work.

Anonymous said...

person-oriented impact. We are all dented with the impact that others make in our lives. The world only see much of who we are.......... thinking it is only our God given personality when in reality it is because of the impact of others we have the personality that we do. Some I have to admit is the result of our nature given to us at birth but much is because of the impact our parents, grandparents, best friends and others who truly love us caused us to be who we are.

Anonymous said...

I'm still wondering Dr. New, who's made the greastest impact in your life?