Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, May 7, 2007

Lessons from Toad Suck Daze (part I)

Toad Suck Daze. No description will do it justice for those who don’t know what it is. Think state fair (without the animals) -- concerts, races, games, parades, pageants, lots of fried foods served on a stick, and people hallucinating from sleep deprivation while being stuck on a truck. If you don’t know about Toad Suck Daze in Conway, you can find more information here.

Adults can run in the 5k or 10k races during Toad Suck Daze. Kids 4-12 have their own Tadpole Trot races. Parker ran in the Tadpole Trot this Saturday and it was a hoot. Imagine a bunch of 4 year olds racing 200 meters with hundreds of adults cheering them on. They get their own t-shirts, racing numbers, and everything.

How do you prepare a 4 year old for a race like that? I actually did have him practice running 200 meters a few times, just so he’d know how long the race was going to be. But more importantly, we gave Parker 3 rules for the race, and we stressed them several times in the few days leading up to the race.
(1) Finish the race.
(2) Do your best.
(3) Have fun.

Lesson #1 from Toad Suck Daze = the same rules for 4 year olds apply to the everyday lives of adults, too. After all, the Apostle Paul compares our lives to races in several places in Scripture.

The wheels in my head are turning now, thinking about other rules we could have given Parker for his race and how they might also apply to adults. Maybe together we can put together a list of “Everything I Needed to Know about Life I Learned from Tadpole Trots.” Your suggestions?

7 comments:

Aaron New said...

Here's one to get us started....

You should not push and shove others to get ahead.

Anonymous said...

Lesson #2 from Toad Suck Daze:

Craig O'Neil doesn't appreciate it when you tell him that you "liked him better when he was in Rocky Horror Picture Show".

Anonymous said...

Have a good attitude - win or lose. Be happy for the winner, because if you win some day you will want people to be happy for you. Don't brag to the loser because if you lose some day, you won't want someone pouring salt on your wound.

Craig Smith said...

Never eat anything that comes served "on a stick."

Afterdarknesslight said...

Only use steroids that can't be detected. Call 1-800-US-OLYMPICS for more information.

Craig Smith said...

I bet I could run that race with you next year. I am down. I may finish way behind you but I will finish.

Let's do it. Toad Suck Daze, prepare to be rocked!

Another lesson: When participating in stuck on a truck, wear a very heavy duty adult diaper.

Anonymous said...

Love and appreciate the people who cheer you on.
Enjoy the race not just the finish.