Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Making an Impact

I’m in the middle of a book that I’m considering for use in a class next semester: Understanding People, by Larry Crabb. In it, Crabb tries to lay out a biblical understanding of how people tick.

I found one particular idea interesting. It isn’t the cornerstone of his book, but it is worth noting. According to Crabb, we are driven by a longing for impact.

“…We want to know that we are capable of doing a job that needs to be done. We want to leave a mark on our world, a real and enduring difference that matters.

We experience this desire for impact in many ways. Inspecting a newly waxed car or a friendly cut lawn provides a measure of legitimate satisfaction: ‘I did it. Because I expended energy, things look better. I made a difference.’ But there is a problem with the limitedness of this impact.

…Short-lived impact is not terribly exciting. We desire an impact that is important and lasting. Impact ranging from trivial (well-trimmed lawns) to more important matters (business success or family harmony) provides different degrees of satisfaction, but never enough.

Let me define this thirst for impact as a desire to be adequate for a meaningful task, a desire to know that we are capable of taking hold of our world and doing something valuable and well.”

I sense this desire for impact in my life. In fact, it is what makes a career of teaching so appealing to me. I'm not as good as I should be, but feel like I can do this job well. And while I don’t always feel adequate to the task, there is part of me that desperately wants to make a real difference in the lives of my students. I want them to succeed in graduate school and in their careers. I want them to be healthy individuals. I want them to go on and make a difference in the lives of others, too.

Like in other posts, I’m interested in learning from others here. Perhaps if I hear how others are making an impact in their world, it will assist me in my attempt to do so as well. So, I’d like for ya’ll to share how this longing for impact shows up in your own life. When have you felt like you made a significant impact in the past? How does this longing influence your choice of a career? How do you see yourself making an impact in the future? All thoughts/observations/insights are welcome!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, we all want to make an impact, we all want to be remembered at the end of our lives. What I do for a career could be done by lots of people some would do it much better than I in many ways...but I do it with my own personality. That is what gives life flavor. I hope that how I care and the way I do things are of value because of the God given talents and strengths that I have. I love to write poetry and hope that perhaps someday something I've written will be saved and remembered by at least a good friend or family member. The Bible tell us that our purpose in life is to give glory to God. If I strive to do that in my personal life as well as my career than surely that will leave some impact. I want others to see Christ in me rather it is at lunch with co-workers or doing a task for the boss. I want my family to see I am devoted to them and hope to help them become all God wants for them. As I think about the people in my life who have made the greatest difference I realize they did so not because of any major act but because they took time to know me and my "story". I'll never invent anything life changing or find any cures for this old worlds woes but I can care for my neighbor and make my children feel loved and safe at the end of the day. Maybe that is what making an impact is all about. Living our lives to make other peoples lives better and directed toward the Lord.

Craig Smith said...

Robert Randolph and the Family Band are playing live at Riverfest on Sunday night right before the big fireworks deal.

Anonymous said...

Craig.........am I missing something?

Aaron New said...

Craig is a college buddy of mine who likes to drop random bits of information here and there.

(There is a link to his blog on my page, so feel free to drop random bits of information for him, too!)

But his recommendation is worthwhile. Anyone who needs a little funk/soul in their life should check our Robert Randolph and the Family Band. They will definitely "make an impact."

Sorry - that was bad. But I had to try and bring it back around.

Anonymous said...

the word impact means to hit with force or to make strong contact so for me to make an "impact" in my life I guess I would have to have the power to "move people" to influence the thinking or emotions of others. To some extent we do that within our circle of friends everyday but the extent is limited by our passion about things. I'll have to admit I don't feel passionate about very many things. In fact I often care very little about politics for instance or religion or what makes the news. That is very sad and must break our Lords heart. To make an impact we must find "our" passion in this world. True we can't be involved in everything or solve everyones problems but we can do something and words are cheap so actions must be made to make a real impact. I pray that God will begin today to cause me to become passionate about something besides what I want for myself.

Unknown said...

It's funny how God uses other people to speak to you and even confirm something He's already told you. This is one of those times for me. I've been thinking a lot lately about what impact I've had in the world and, more importantly, what impact I have made for Christ. A quote from the 1989 movie 'Lean On Me' seems to sum it up for me..."you haven't made a (expletive) bit of difference". I know that seems pretty harsh, but sometimes that's the way I feel.

Lately, though, God has been speaking to me quite a bit about what I can do from here on out to start making a difference. In December, I started feeling God's calling for me to be involved in some sort of mission work or other ministry. So, I started researching missions opportunities (mostly foreign missions) to see what all was out there; I contacted some of the seminaries to see what classes were offered; and I started praying specifically for Him to show me what He'd have me do. He immediately began to reveal something to me and I'll know soon whether God will confirm my feelings or not...I'm willing to obey when He does.

The last couple of lines from "Anonymous" says, "Maybe that is what making an impact is all about. Living our lives to make other peoples lives better and directed toward the Lord." I believe that hits the nail on the head. Will you work to "get ahead" and "be successful" or will you seek God's will for your life in every way and be open to the idea of sacrificing yourself so others can know him? What ETERNAL impact will you make for Christ?

Anonymous said...

Curtis, I will be praying for you. I think you are already making an impact with your life and will continue to do so. Keep us posted on what God is doing in your life.

Aaron New said...

This has been great stuff, everyone. This is the kind of dialogue I had in mind when I started blogging. Thanks for sharing!

Curt, I'll be praying for you, too.

Anonymous said...

today I read this blog and thought "people need to think more often!" think about things other than "what am I doing tonight? or what am I eating for lunch? Isn't it amazing how much of our thoughts are about things that are for only the moment. It is far easier to keep thoughts on the surface though because they don't require much effort. Thanks for this blog that has caused me to "ponder on things more important than myself.

Anonymous said...

Dr. New who are some people who have truly impacted your life and why? I've been asking myself that question today. Who makes a lasting impact and why? If I can answer that question concerning my life maybe I can figure out how I might better make a difference.

Aaron New said...

Anonymous (the last one)....

That is a GREAT question. I'd like to make a thoughtful answer to your question - so forgive me if I put off your question until I get back to blogging more regularly next week. I'll make it a post of it's own.

AN