Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

On Sleep and Sovereignty

I did not get much sleep during my first round of chemotherapy at the hospital. This is just a little ironic since the overwhelming majority of my time was spent in a bed. Here’s what I had to work with…. nurses constantly taking my vital signs and giving me medications, IV pumps beeping in my ear, using the bathroom every 45 minutes (from all the fluids in those beeping pumps), moaning patients next-door, tubes and wires running from my chest in all directions, 24 hour on-camera surveillance, scurrying personnel during the occasional code blue, and startling myself with my own snoring since I was always lying on my back. If that doesn’t paint a good picture, then think of being thrown into a large fish bowl and cabled down to a bed that looks more like an instrument of torture than a Tempur-Pedic. Your background noise is more annoying than a Nancy Grace marathon and you have the constant urge to pee. Night-night.

I teach my psychology students about the importance of sleep. In fact, study after study has demonstrated how sleep relates to other areas of life. The third of your life that you should spend sleeping has profound effects on the other two-thirds of your life; in terms of alertness, energy, mood, body weight, perception, memory, thinking, reaction time, productivity, creativity, and safety. And this is just a short list.

I’ve often wondered, however, why God would design us so that a third of our lives would need to be spent sleeping. Seriously – that’s a huge part of our life.

I don’t have a full answer to this question. But I had a significant moment one night in the hospital that I thought I should share. I couldn’t until now because it was too difficult to discuss even with Shanda until recently. Since I’ve said
transparency is the name of the game, here it goes.

You’ve read by now that I was moved to the Critical Care Unit for a while because my heart rate had dipped into the mid thirties. (Normal heart rate is 60-80 beats per minute, by the way). I have to confess that I was more than just a little nervous about going to sleep my first night in CCU. My heart rate was being constantly monitored, and the number was just above my head. I could check it anytime I wanted –and I checked it often. As long as I was awake, I could figure out ways to get my heart rate up – tense my muscles, stretch, get out of bed, breathe fast, hold my breath, etc. Honestly, I was unsettled about “letting go” and sleeping. My heart rate was hovering in the 40s I had no assurance my heart rate wouldn’t drop again to even more critical levels if I let myself drift to sleep.

No man likes to admit this, but I had a small crisis that night. I was scared.

Then something remarkable happened – something hard to verbalize, so hang with me. Through a few of my tears that night, I offered a pretty feeble but sincere prayer: “Lord, I gave my heart to You years ago and You saved me. Tonight, I give my heart to You again – literally – and I trust You with it. Make it beat however You want.”

I surrendered control. I gave up my heartbeat. I even gave up my family. I thought of Shanda and the boys and turned them over to Jesus. I visualized Jesus’ hands holding and massaging my heart. And I slept.

Over the next few days, I reflected on that experience and on sleep in general. I wonder if God designed us to need sleep as a way of reminding us of our dependence on Him. We work ourselves like crazy during the day to maintain some semblance of control over our lives. But each night we have to give it all up. For those of us who claim that God is in control, going to sleep each night is an opportunity to thoughtfully practice what we preach.

It’s not that we shouldn’t work hard and make good choices each day. We should. We should work to take care of our families and faithfully carry out whatever tasks God has given us. But at the end of every day we have a chance to give it all back to the One who is ultimately in control – and truly find rest.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great post!

I love how God seems to show us His perspective on life here on Earth when we to come to the point where it is all we want to know.

Dr. New, we are praying for you and your family.

Stephen Castleberry

Anonymous said...

Aaron, I work with your Mom and she told me about your blog. What a testimony you have. She is so proud of you and I can't believe how strong your faith and your family's is. I need to re-examin my faith and walk with God. Thanks for being so open and honest with your feelings.

K

Anonymous said...

Aaron - My prayers are with you. We will pray for God to grant complete healing (however he sees fit) and then to use this for your good. By the way, the colonoscopy post below was very funny. I laughed until I cried.

Jenni said...

Hmmm, people scurrying around, no rest, 24 hour cameras. It sounds like a reality show to me. I'm just saying.

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Nancy Grace makes my skin crawl.

-Zeb

Anonymous said...

Awesome post Aaron.

But seriously... we have to go see Dark night.

-sk

Anonymous said...

I understand the hospital thing. However one of my most favorite memories happened in a hospital when I couldn't sleep. My dad was with me and it was around midnight or 1 am and we just found an old movie and watched it together. I think it was Coal Miner's Daughter or something, but it wasn't important what it was. What was important was that I got to spend time with my dad. I cherish that memory even though it was in a hospital & I was a day or two after surgery. It sounds like God is giving you some pretty amazing moments in the hospital. I pray that he gives you more moments like that with him!
Because HE Lives,
Andy Titus

Anonymous said...

Talked to your dad today and he said you got along much better this time with your latest treatment - PTL - that's such good news and answered prayer! I enjoyed reading your thoughts on sleep - never thought about that before! Still praying! :) Rita :)

Jason, Lisa, Olivia & Annalie said...

Hi, Aaron. We just heard about your illness today. We will be praying fervently for you, Shanda and your boys. Your posts are beautiful.

Lisa Huebner

Unknown said...

Aaron, you never cease to amaze me with your insight...both of life in general and in your spiritual walk. You're a great example for us all and I hope you realize how many people are being drawn closer to God through your testimony.

Bryan Cox said...

great post. also hate nancy grace

Anonymous said...

I think of you and your family every single day. Your mom's strength and faith is quite a testimonial for you and your family. Enjoy your mom and dad while they are in town. Fried chicken, pies yum!!!

Anonymous said...

Every once in a while I read something that reallly causes me to think. This post was one of them. Thanks for being transparent as you call it.

k

Anonymous said...

Every once in a while I read something that reallly causes me to think. This post was one of them. Thanks for being transparent as you call it.

k

Anonymous said...

Hey Aaron - Thanks for sharing your fear of losing control. I think most of the time our control is an illusion perputrated (sp?) by the foe. We all fear letting it go, but it is just what Jesus wants. There have been times when I have let go briefly - only to take it back when things got a little better. My mother, on the other hand, seems to know who is in charge most of the time.
Anyway, please keep sharing your insights. They make us all better.
Dave Buchholz