Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, July 18, 2008

One Down...

.... seven more rounds to go.

There's so much to say. First, I can't even begin to explain how important your emails, phone calls, and blog comments have been to me. I have not been able to respond to everyone individually - though I wish I could - but each one has been a blessing to me. Thank you! Please continue - your words do my heart good.

Speaking of my heart.... Ugh. My first round of chemo was thrown for a loop when my heart rate dipped into the mid 30s. We still aren't sure what the story is, but let me tell you that hospital staff get a little frenzied when you start having cardiac trouble AND you are on chemo at the same time.

I was able to complete my first round of chemo, just with a few delays. Other than the low heart rate, my heart seems good and strong. (Well, there is also the issue of me passing out about 4 times in the oncology clinic, but I'll save that embarrassing story for a later post. For now, let's just say it is the weirdest thing to be sleepy/dizzy one minute and waking up with 6 nurses and a doctor in front of you screaming your name the next. Sheesh.)

The overwhelming majority of my time in the hospital was spent in bed, though I assure you the hospital is NOT a place of rest. So I've been doing some thinking, as you might expect. Hopefully, I'll be able to share some of my thoughts with you soon. My next post might be about my developing theology of sleep - just in case you are interested.

My condition now is good. I am fatigued a good bit of the time. But I had a good appetite today, was able to play with the boys some, and I haven't lost my hair. Yet.

For the next week or so, I'll be going into the clinic often and as soon as my white blood cell count is high enough, they'll start round two of my chemo. I am so encouraged by your thoughts and prayers. And I have so much to be thankful for. Please continue to pray for Shanda, the boys, and our families. This is tough for them.

Will write more soon!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron, Good to have you back blogging !
Everyone has missed you including me.
Love you!
Mom

Heather said...

We love you, Aaron and are praying non-stop. I can't wait to hear your theology of sleep, esp. since I am a raging insomniac right now!
Praying for you, Shan, and the boys to have some quality time together this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Well I am a little dissapointed in the fact that there was no mention on poop in this one - but it is totally excused by the fact that 1 is down already! We are still praying constantly! If you need anything at all - let us know.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo tempted to call Shanda every day but I don't want her to have to repeat, incessantly, what is going on. The Holy Reminder brings you to my mind many times a day and I am so thankful I have more to offer the situation than just "good thoughts"! Our God is mighty to save and we are storming the gates on your behalf.

LOVE!
LLL

Anonymous said...

Aaron, Glad you are enjoying your time with the family...you deserve it. Praying for you! Sandy & Denny

Anonymous said...

'Tis good to have you home A. I enjoyed me some OTB and New time tonight! Get some rest and let's go conquer some round 2!

-sk

ocean mommy said...

Hi Aaron,

I'm here via Heather. (Life at Sonic Speed)

Just wanted you to know that while I'm praying for you, I'm lifting your sweet wife up as well. After reading Heather's words and request for you, I felt like God placed your wife on my heart.

Anticipating HIM with you!

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Aaron good to have you back. first time to write, I hear alot from your mother, I have been praying for you all, Get better real soon.
Love Aunt Bert

Anonymous said...

Dr. New, it's good to see your blog back up. Thanks for keeping everyone up-to-date.
I know that I was always the quiet one in class, but please know that I am passionately and fevorantly praying on your behalf. The Lord has put me under conviction to pray for you and your wonderful family, so I am.I have also asked my Arizona church to pray for you and they are. Arlington, Tx group also praying. Virco, in Conway, praying, too. If you and Shanda need anything, let me know. Deb

Anonymous said...

Aaron! Craig let our ridiculous little FF league know you are fighting cancer... My theological word for news like that is: Crap. My prayer is that this will draw you and others to the King of Kings and that He would be magnified both by your countenance as you navigate this trial and by your complete healing. Press ON brother!
Dave Shue

Unknown said...

Hey Aaron--
Thanks for the updates...know that we all continue to pray. I am a firm believer in sleep so if there is a theology for it sign me up! David told me about your movie request and said that deacons are working round the clock on that one :) Know that your attitude through this is totally inspiring...may our God continue to give you strength, courage and laughter!
Blessings--
Maria