Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Nailed Down

Nailed down.
Written in blood.
Carved in stone.
Written on the bathroom stall with a sharpie.

OK. So that last metaphor wasn’t appropriate. But you get the idea.

I’m seeing the oncologist today and I’m preparing myself for what he may have to say. I imagine he will be much more specific than my other doctors – more specific about the type of cancer, about the course of treatment, and about prognosis and life-expectancy. The less specific the details were until now, the more I could just assume that all was good. But I’m a little unsettled about what I might hear today. So I’m driving some stakes into the ground. No matter what news I get – I know without any doubt or reservation...

(1) God is in control and He loves me.
(2) God loves my family more than I do.
(3) Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from God’s love (
Romans 8:38-39).

Thanks to all who have commented and emailed their encouraging words. I have not been able to repsond to everyone - but please know I appreciate you all.

8 comments:

Craig Smith said...

Praying for you, Bub.

I am making your song of the day dedication now: "Run Devil Run" by Paul McCartney off of the album of the same name.

Hope you enjoy it, Bubbles. Your mom is the absolute best.

Anonymous said...

Well said bub!

Anonymous said...

Bub is actually short for Bubberboo. I know you appreciate me telling everyone that, Aaron. I just do it because I love you and I thought they all needed to know. :)

Anonymous said...

Dr. Bubberboo...he he he.

-Zeb

Anonymous said...

Aaron, I am soooooo sorry about the "Bub" thing!
Love you!
Mom

Heather said...

Aaron- we are praying constantly for you and Shanda. We love you!

Anonymous said...

Arron and Shanda,

We love you. Know that Wedgwood Baptist Church is praying for you.
You are right, GOd is in control, HE loves you more that we do, He loves your family and will bring you through.
YOur faith in Christ is strong. He is inthe miracle business, we have seen that first hand at Wedgwood.

We love you and our prayers are with you.

Debbie Gillette

Anonymous said...

Aaron - I was going to tell you, I had a colonoscopy once where they had a video recorder going and showed the whole thing real-time on a color monitor. I was on some drug that I did not care what was happening, but I did watch. However, I did NOT buy the video, which they offered to sell me. Now I wish I had - could leave to my kids as a very personal memory. Saw your mom & dad last night at IBC, at least I think it was your mom- I have not actually met her. This lady was very pretty.
Your dad sang at Wanda Bagget's funeral - old time gospel, which is not my favorite but I can enjoy it in small doses.
You are in my prayers.
Dave Buchholz