Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, July 4, 2008

Being Transparent is Healthy

At least that’s what I tell my students. Are there limits to this transparency? I’m sure there are. What should be the limits of my own transparency in the midst of my cancer? I’ve lost some objectivity and I'm not so sure. So I’m following my gut here – which is terribly ironic since it is my gut that has gotten me into this trouble. But I’m trying to be as open and honest as possible here on my blog these days.

I know I’ve promised not to make this all about me. And someday, as things settle down, I’ll reduce the cancer posts and write on other stuff. But enough of you have asked for updates that I feel compelled to keep ya’ll current. (And honestly, I cherish the idea that so many people are thinking of and praying for us.)

We are in a holding pattern until around Thursday next week. I’ve had a slew of tests, exams, pokes, and prods. And I have a few more to go. All of the results will come in around mid-week and then I’ll have another consultation with my oncologist. I am looking forward to that day in nervous anticipation – as I assume that’s the day I will get some numbers; something concrete to wrap my mind around. I’ll get the stage of my cancer (how far it has progressed) and I’ll get a cure rate. I want to know (1) my stage number and (2) the likelihood that I’m going to survive. I want the numbers. And waiting for them is hard. So if you are looking for specific ways to pray in the next few days – pray for patience and peace and we continue to live with the unknown and we have to wait.

And pray for this…..

This is hard enough to hear rattle around in my head – let alone verbalize it to Shanda (which I’ve done) or write about it on my blog (which I’m now doing). So bear with me.

I know that I can handle anything that happens. Seriously. I’m in God’s care. I can handle the pain and side effects that will occur as a result of my chemotherapy, which is probably going to be pretty brutal. Maybe you’ve already read my take on these things: I don’t deserve any different. Others have suffered incredibly more than I will. God loves me and nothing can separate me from His love. It will be hard, sometimes very hard, but I can handle it. That’s not self-centered pride (I don’t think). That’s the assurance and hope I have in Christ.

I also know that if treatment does not go well and I don’t make it – the alternative is being with Jesus. See? I’m going to be OK.

But I’m having a hard time thinking of my family – particularly my sons. Shanda is a strong woman and while it would be incredibly hard for her, she would be OK, too. But I’m struggling with the idea of my sons growing up without a father. If I let those thoughts linger - for even a moment (like now) - the weight of them nearly crushes me. Even though I know in my head that God loves my family far more than I do and would take care of them, in my heart I can’t bear the thought of my sons growing up without their dad. Please focus your prayers as I try to live out
Philippians 4:8 and as I seek the promise of Philippians 4:6-7.

Ugh. That wasn’t fun. But it was transparent. Your prayers are a lifeline for me. Thank you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire your transparency! I admire your dependance on God. I admire the confidence and hope you place in him. I admire that you are still a man and struggle with this. Still praying for you!
Andy Titus

Anonymous said...

Please continue to post progress reports! Aaron, John and I are praying for "all the resources of heaven to intersect with this earthly situation." (Jennifer Kennedy Dean) We are believing that God's good, perfect and pleasing will is for you to disciple your boys to adulthood and we are praying for that to happen. Daily we are remebering you to the Father and we are holding up your arms in this battle. We love you.
Laura Leigh

Heather said...

I have been praying Phil 4:6-8 for you and Shanda all week! God reminded me of it when I was praying and since then I have prayed that VERY VERSE each day! God is in this, Aaron. We are praying like crazy that you will feel Him and see Him.

Anonymous said...

Aaron--

You and your family are in my CONSTANT thoughts and prayers. Almost everybody I have come in contact with over the last 1-2 weeks has been encouraged to pray for you. God bless you, friend.

Alan Paul said...

transparency keeps us from fooling ourselves into thinking things are worse than they actually are or better than they actually are. i admire your transparency, but more so your courage to confront your illness and its consequences.