Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Denials and Updates

I apologize for the delay in posting recently. In this case, no news has been good news.

I had a very good week at home. Too good, perhaps. Once my white blood count was high enough, I was able to resume some normal activities.

Normal. Hmm.

I went to the office to work for an hour or two each day. I was able to pretend life was normal there for a while and that was good. Working at the office reminded me that there is a normal life out there waiting for me after all of this.

I went to Chili’s for some normal chicken fajita quesadillas.

I went to see “The Dark Knight.” The joker wasn’t normal, but my evening was.

I was able to just hang out and laugh with my wife and kids. That was very normal and very good.

I went to Larry’s Pizza for some abnormally good pizza.

And I’ve been living in denial a little bit. I avoided unpacking the rest of my stuff from the last trip to the hospital until today. Honestly, I’ve avoided blogging because blogging reminds me that something is wrong.

Round 2 of chemotherapy is scheduled to start on Monday morning, however, and reality is starting to set back in. I am feeling the weight of what could be a very long 6 months or so. Now that I have 1 round of chemo under my belt, I have a glimpse of what the next 7 rounds might look like – and in some ways I feel like I am mourning the loss of a normal life for a while.

I’ve got some blog posts percolating… some of which I am already looking forward to writing. Posts about God’s timing and God’s provision. Posts about thankfulness, perseverance, and toughness. Maybe another post about normalcy, too. And I’ll do better at updating the blog.

Thank you for your kind words and prayers.

Reality Check: After drafting these words (above) this afternoon, my hair has started to fall out tonight. We were expecting that to occur sometime, so it is weirdly normal.

7 comments:

Garrick D. Conner said...

Aaron,

Thanks for the update. We'll keep the prayers coming your way. I hope you will have many more "normal" days ahead.

Craig Smith said...

Aaron, let's stop kidding ourselves. You started losing your hair in 1998.

At least now you have an excuse.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron
Sounds like you a hanging in there. You will make it through all of this you have so much faith in God it really make me think about by own life. Thanks for showing us how great your faith in god his.I love to read you blogs. Try and have a good week in the hospital. will be praying for all of you.
Love Aunt Bert

david b mclaughlin said...

my hair is virtually gone and i have no chemo to blame.

ahhhh, dangit. craig beat me to the hair joke. i hate that guy.

Anonymous said...

Aaron, Ryan Martin from SWBTS let us know of your blog and your diagnosis. You have been in our prayers for many weeks now.

When I found out about your cancer my heart and my head went to Shonda. I don't envy the place where you both find yourselves. I pray for health and strength for you but also for her. Trying to keep life "normal" is not an easy task for any mother. And you are correct, you are grieving the loss of normalcy. You all are creating a new normal, whether you want to or not.

Adrian and I lost our baby daughter at 5 days old back in December of 2005. Normal looks a lot different 2 and 1/2 years down the road. Our heavenly Father is a very loving and gracious God, keep trusting him.

We will continue to pray for you and your family as you find your new normal.

Blessings,
Kim Bunta
(formerly from Wedgwood Baptist Church and SWBTS)

Unknown said...

i don't know who craig and david are, but they are cracking me up! i like to read their comments as much as i like to read your blog! no offense! :)

anyway, i am praying for you and the fam. you are far stronger than i fear i would be in the same situation. God has his hand on you!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update, dr.new. I will let the Arizona group know how things are going and to continue to pray for you and your family. God's hand is on you; I know from the powerful messages that you have written in the past few weeks. Keep the faith and stand firm in His awesome power. Deb Hendrix