Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Breaking News

Thanks again to everyone who has commented or emailed. I appreciate your kind words more than you know.

Here’s a brief update….

My cancer is one of two different subtypes of B cell lymphoma. I like having a name for it. I now know what I’m battling against.

I also get to keep my guts. The oncologist today said that colon surgery is not necessary. That’s the good news.

The bad news is that I am in for some pretty rough chemo starting soon. (Probably
Hyper-CVAD for the curious.)

While my oncologist was very helpful, I didn’t get as much news as I would have liked today. He still doesn’t know what stage my cancer is in. And that means I don’t know the exact success rate of treatment. We will know all of that within the next week or so after I have a battery of more tests.

Speaking of tests – I have a bone marrow biopsy Wednesday. I hear those aren’t any fun.

That’s the short story. I don’t really know what to make of these changes yet. I’m still trying to wrap my mind around it all. I’ll post more soon.

Thanks again for your encouragement and prayers!

8 comments:

Craig Smith said...

My prayer is that you, inadvertently and unknowingly, swallowed an actual golf ball.

Sure, that seems like a stretch. But I have seen you eat a few times. You are not what some may call a "persnickity" eater. In fact, three times I was worried you would hoover up my wristwatch.

Praying for you and your innards today.

Jenni said...

Aaron,
There you go using the word guts again.

Praying for you as you have your test today.

Anonymous said...

The only thing that travels faster than good news is bad news. Wow, Aaron. I'm going to attempt to not sound freaked out and dramatic (I hear that's not helpful). Brandon and I are so praying for you and your stupid cancerous colon. Why couldn't it just behave and eliminate waste and just let that be the end of it?

Tell Shanda we are praying for her too.

Anonymous said...

I think Craig is on to something Aaron...

Anonymous said...

Aaron-

I can't think of the "right" words, so just know Ryan and I are praying (with a host of others)for you and Shanda right now.

Much love-
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Dr. New.
I just caught up on reading your blog today...
I don't know what to say besides I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
If you need anything in the upcoming weeks (grass mowed, flowers watered, mail picked up, anything) don't hesitate to ask. I live just around the corner and would be happy to help you out.
Keep your head up, God is in control.
love, tara

Anonymous said...

I'm Judy, Mark Scott's mom. Just want you to know that there is life after cancer. I'm a 5 1/2 year survivor of colo/rectal cancer and have been told that my treatment was done in the "dark ages". There is so much hope with all the new chemos, and altho it isn't any fun, you will do better than you think. Many prayers are going up for you and Faith and attitude are imperative in this process. You will overcome!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dr. New,
I am praying for you and your family! Your sense of humor and attitude is so great. Jesus is honestly shining through you!

-Kara