Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Death, Be Not Proud

I’m not really a poetry kind of guy. It’s not that I don’t like poetry….. well, ok, it actually is. I’m just not smart enough to follow poems that are more complicated than the roses are red variety. But I’m not so uncultured that I can’t appreciate some poems. Below is the first one with which I ever found a significant connection. I remember discussing this poem in a college class – slowly dissecting it, lingering over the metaphors, and feeling the gravity of its words. It was a meaningful experience for me – someone who still can barely put together a haiku. This remains my favorite poem of all time.

I’m not going to analyze the poem for you. Not yet, anyway. I challenge you to chew on it, sift through it, and discuss it with someone else. I’ll revisit the poem in another post someday.

Death, be not proud – John Donne (1572-1631)

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou are not so;
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to ignore the poetry on this post and let you keep your Man Card for two reasons. 1. You are a Professor, 2. with the molting/hair loss maybe that is effecting your man discernment! LOL Seriously, thats pretty deep.
AT

Jenni said...

I think you must be feeling good because you are back to posting stuff I don't understand!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! This makes one English major proud. Very proud, indeed.

LLL

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got something out of that class. The only thing I can remember is making bets with Greg Sullivan that he could stay awake for the entire hour. RM

Peas on Earth said...

Hey Aaron! We just found out about your diagnosis this past week and just today about your blog. I forgot to get the URL, so it took some about 10 minutes of determined Googling to find it. Shanda might like to know that it was only after I added her name to the search that I found it!! (Yep - you'd never replace her!)

I haven't read the entire blog, but I did read all of your posts since you first went to the dr. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers during these times especially. Please give Shanda my greetings and love and a big hug for me. I wish I could be there to do it myself.

Everyone back at your WBC SS class is thinking and praying for you. We love you and you guys are still missed around here.

In His Strength,
Sharon Bowers

P.S. This buddy Craig ... he's a really good friend, yes? You guys seem to go way back. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Aaron! I am very excited to read your awesome blog--I've mostly read Sharon's and those of her friends so I appreciate the manly point of view. I must say if I could write as well as you, I certainly would. How many people can make their battle with cancer this interesting & engaging? I'm guessing you would give Jesus full credit for that and to that I would say AMEN! I would also say please keep it up-we are being blessed and encouraged. There are so many specific things I'd like to comment on but it would take too long.

Many have said it and it's true...your faith is inspiring--you can't fake faith at a time like this!

We are praying for you to beat this and to CONTINUE living VICTORIOUSLY in the grace & power of our Lord Jesus.

We're praying for Shanda and the kids, too!

Anonymous said...

Whoops--Rookie blogger/commenter mistake.

I posted that last one--
Paul