Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, July 14, 2008

Days 3 and 4

Just a short update today… I’ve discovered that blogging in the past was an exercise of leisure and relaxation. It was a break from otherwise busy days. Here at the hospital, it is nothing but leisure and relaxation (sort of), and when I have time to do something else, blogging isn’t my highest priority. I want to DO something – something more active, I suppose.

I’ve had a detour with my treatment. Apparently my heart rate has been very low the past few days when I’m resting. In fact, on Saturday night they gave me Atropine to stimulate my heart. And since some of the chemo meds can be a little hard on a person’s heart, they have moved me to the critical care unit at the hospital. I’M NOT IN CRITICAL CONDITION. But this is the best place to continuously monitor my heart, especially while I’m taking some of the chemo meds.

For the praying types – here’s how you can pray. (Craig, figure out a way to keep yours from just bouncing off the walls, would you?)

I don’t like detours. They had to delay some treatment while they figured out my heart thing. I just want to get the chemo going. Pray for patience, please. And pray my heart gets its act together.

I don’t like the critical care unit. The staff here is wonderful, but there is a very strict visiting policy and it gets lonely. In addition, this unit is for very sick people. The rooms and services aren’t designed for ambulating and active patients.

Finally, I’ve been rather weepy the past 2 days. This isn’t like me at all. Our best guess is that this is a combination of several things – not the least being some sleep deprivation and the steroids which can wreak havoc on emotions. Please pray for mood stability and for my sense of humor to return a bit more. I need it.

Thanks to you all!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about this detour, Aaron. I'm praying for you friend. Hey, have you seen the John Adams mini-series produced by HBO? I have it. Let me know if you're interested. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Aaron, there are so many praying for you! Hang in there, the doctors will get this all worked out soon. Can't believe you haven't had a "weepy" day before now.
You are stonger than those of us reading your blogs!

Anonymous said...

we can always start a conversation about 'poop' or 'buberboo' or how your mother get her mords wixed. Just let me know when I can instigate something.

Love you ,

dad

Jenni said...

Aaron,
Here's a funny for you (which is MUCH funnier than talking about your bowels).

I was playing "pat-a-cake" with Cooper and Tanner came up to me as serious as he could be and said "Jenni, he doesn't understand what you are saying. Play Peek-a-boo, he understands that." Then he walked off.

What a silly boy!

Anonymous said...

I prayed for patience once, Aaron. I must have, the Lord allows me so many times to practice it. But at your request, I'm praying for patience for you; and grace, and peace. AND all of us are praying for healing. We all know it's gonna happen!

Keep taking each day one at a time. Keep plugged into the power source that He provides.

It's okay to be "weepy' once in a while. All of us tough guys do it.

Oscar

Anonymous said...

Well, crud. I knew things were going to get rough but I didn't expect them to get rough so soon. I understand loneliness and will be praying for you in that. I understand detours and NOT LIKING THEM and will be praying for you in that, too. That the glory of the Lord will be revealed and that your character will be more like Christ...
LLL

Anonymous said...

Praying you have a better day! Love reading your blogs so keep them coming whenever you can. You are keeping a lot of people on their knees and that is a good thing. Especially here at Levy

Anonymous said...

dr. new, I have to share my ignorance. Yesterday, Mo told me that you had moved to CCU. Normal people I suppose know what that is, but the only thing I could think about was the gym in little rock "Cheer City United". I couldn't figure out for the life of me why you had taken up cheerleading at this time in your life....I know my hair grows black, but I guess we all get our dumb blond moments sometimes... :-)
On the other hand...as uncomfortable as it was for you to talk about your "clearing my throat" poop...it was nearly as uncomfortable for me to read about my professors' poop. But I'm glad all is well, and no matter what you decide to blog about, I will continue to read.
Continue getting better! You are continuously in my prayers.
tara w

Anonymous said...

S O M E T I M E S


Sometimes...

when you cry...

no one sees your tears.

Sometimes...

when you are in pain...

no one sees your hurt.

Sometimes.

when you are worried..

no one sees your stress

Sometimes.

when you are happy..

no one sees your smile ...

But FART !! just ONE time...

And everybody knows!!

I Hope that this helps your sense of humor, plus it goes along with the "Poop Blog."
Andy

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better. We want you back talking to us!!

Praying everyday for you!!!!!

Craig Smith said...

Keep that chin up, Bubbles.