Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sharp Points and No Point

Had a lumbar puncture with chemotherapy today.

Translation: I had a spinal tap. It went well.

1 down.
15 more to go.

I wish I would have asked my doctor if the numbers on his instruments went all the way to 11. But I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is quite a funny reference. Now I wanna see "This is Spinal Tap" again. Ya should've also asked him about an 18" tall Stonehenge prop with dancing little people going around it. I'm keeping ya in my prayers and have spread the prayer request to my coworkers (one of whom is getting a colonoscopy this week). I can't imagine what yer going through, but I know ya. Yer stubborn and will pull through it. When I come down to Conway, I will try and visit ya if possible. Take care and God bless.

Angela M. McReynolds

Anonymous said...

I am glad you think the doctor wouldn't have gotten it... it doesn't make me feel as dumb. Ha.

Glad you had a good day man... hang in there, only 2 more for this trip.

-sk

Anonymous said...

Good grief, Bil (brother-in-law), I know you've been on me for years to read your blog but you really didn't have to resort to getting cancer to get me to read it. I was GONNA READ IT! I promise!
Well, now you've got me. I'm reading it and I have to say, it's not nearly as boring and educational as I thought it would be. Turns out you smart people can be pretty funny too...who knew?
So I've made one of those construction paper chains of all the days until your healed...like you made at Christmas when you were like 7 years old, yeah, one of those. See, this is the sort of thing we single people have time to do. Disgusting, huh? I'm tearing off the days one by one. I have to admit, when I look at the chain, it looks pretty long. But at the same time, when you think of how many hundreds of prayers each link in the chain represents, it's pretty amazing. As long as I'm praying for you so much, I thought I'd ask if there were any special requests you might have....like totally unrelated to cancer and well being. Like maybe winning the lottery, or having the ability to fly. I mean, I know God's not a genie in a bottle or anything but maybe he answers prayer like Congress passes bills and he'll overlook a little pork barreling.
Anyway, just let me know.

Praying without ceasing,
krista

Anonymous said...

Talking about turning in up to 11--I have a cousin (not very smart one) that was at the dentist office and he put one of those machines on her temples to relax the muscles in her jaws. He gave her the controls and told her not to touch anything. Then he left the room saying he would be back in 20 minutes. Being the person that she is--she got curious about what would happen if she turned it up a notch or two. She went from 4 to 10 in a split second. Nearly had a seizure!! Said her teeth shattered and she saw more than stars. The doctor came in (due to the screaming coming from the room) and pulled the plug just in the nick of time.
Just thought you might like a little humor.
Hang in there, Doctor New. You are on so many prayer list that if nothing else good comes of this, at least you have people praying without ceasing. Deb