Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, July 7, 2008

Here We Go

I don’t know who it was, but somebody out there heard me lament the waiting process and decided to pray that I just wouldn’t have to wait. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that – I’m a spiritual idiot sometimes. Whoever you are – thanks! My oncologist called this morning and asked for us to come for our consultation this afternoon. Pardon the brevity of this update – our heads are still swimming and we have tons to do now.

My cancer is
Burkitt’s Lymphoma. It is an aggressive form of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

My cancer is in stage 1, meaning we caught it early. This is very good.

My cure rate is 85-90%. This is also very good.

As far as cancer news goes, I’m not sure it could have been much better.

But here’s where it gets ugly. My chemotherapy and immunotherapy (
R-hyper-CVAD) will begin later this week at Conway Regional Hospital. My regimen will consist of 8 rounds of chemo. Each round will begin with 5 days of inpatient treatment. They will be bombarding my body will all sorts of stuff nearly around the clock for 5 days. After my 5 days in the hospital, I’ll be released home. After a couple of weeks (give or take a few days) my body should recover enough to start the next round. For those doing the math – that’s about 6 months of chemo, in and out of the hospital.

The toll it’s going to take on my body is not going to be pleasant. And my time away from family, friends, work, hobbies, etc is going to be difficult to handle. But I’m gonna kick some Burkitt butt with this chemo and that’s what matters the most.

I’ll post more later. Thank you all!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't be with you physically, but I will be with spiritually. Stay strong, right attitude is the best starting point, and you have that. I will do anything for you or your family that is needed.

mo

Anonymous said...

Ok. We're storming heaven and standing in the gap! We are also ready to pack and come to Arkansas at ANY TIME for ANY REASON. PTL for the good news of stage 1 and big ole cure rate!!!
LLL

Anonymous said...

Great news!!!!! Thank you Lord! Now praying for the Lord to make your's, Shanda's and the boy's life as stress free as possible while you go thru the treatment. You all are remarkably strong and can do all things with Christ.!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! We will continue to pray for strength for both you and your family. Anything we can do we will.
Elizabeth & Andrew Guunnels

Craig Smith said...

In honor of our shared history together in a pretend frat at a Southern Baptist University, I will do a push up for every day you are in chemo.

Hope it gets me some M's, Mr. New.

And let's talk about forcing Abernathy and Buchanek to depledge.

Anonymous said...

Andrew and I have been and will continue to pray for you and your family. I'm glad the news was as good as it was! Please keep the updates going as they help us to know what to specifically pray for.
Becca Burke

david b mclaughlin said...

glad for the good part of the news. we'll be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Aaron, I don't know you but know your Mom. You have a wonderful blog and I feel I am getting to know you thru it. You are in my thoughts and I am sure you will get thru this time and will continue to inspire people.

D

Anonymous said...

Aaron, I don't know you but know your Mom. You have a wonderful blog and I feel I am getting to know you thru it. You are in my thoughts and I am sure you will get thru this time and will continue to inspire people.

D

Anonymous said...

Usher: Deak, don't forget to hold this guy up

Deacon: You too Usher - say a prayer in your tree today, say a prayer