Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Bystander Effect

The Israeli Motorcyclist
I read a news story Tuesday about how a
motorcyclist involved in an accident laid in the middle of a busy intersection for 2 minutes before someone stopped to help him. His motorcycle was just a few meters away and yet over 30 cars and trucks slowed down and carefully drove around the man without stopping. The man was later pronounced dead at the scene.

This seems to be a classic example of one of the more interesting phenomena studied by social psychologists – the “bystander effect.”

Suppose there is a person in trouble and in need of assistance. Under which circumstances would that person be most likely to actually receive assistance? When there is just one person around or when there is a group of people? You may be surprised to learn that groups of bystanders are less likely than individuals to help a person in trouble.

Kitty Genovese
In 1964, Kitty Genovese (pictured above) was attacked, raped, and stabbed to death by a man just outside her apartment complex in New York. There was quite a commotion as she screamed for help. For example, it was later reported that others heard her call out, “Oh my God! He stabbed me! Please help me!!” In fact, the screams apparently scared the attacker and he hid in an entryway twice, only to return to finish his assault – which lasted over 30 minutes. Perhaps most horrifying is the fact that 38 different witnesses heard or saw something of the attack from their own apartment windows, and yet none of them came to her rescue or called the police.

Since this event, social psychologists like John Darley and Bibb Latane have been able to consistently demonstrate the bystander effect in a wide range of experiments.

There seem to be several factors involved in the bystander effect. Among them….
(1) There seems to be a “diffusion of responsibility” that occurs in groups. If you are the only person who knows someone else needs assistance, then you are likely to feel 100% responsible for giving them assistance. But if you are among 9 other people who all know the person needs assistance, you may only feel 10% responsible.
(2) There is a greater risk of embarrassment in groups. When others are around, people engage in a particular inner dialogue. “Surely someone else has already offered help. And someone else must know how to help in this situation better than I do. What if it isn’t really that serious after all? Somebody else knows what’s going on and knows what to do more than I do.” Of course, when everyone in a group has the same inner dialogue, the person may not get any help at all.
(3) People read the “social cues” of those around them. Each person in the group tries to remain outwardly calm and detached while they read the facial expressions, body language, and actions of the others around them. After all, no one wants to overreact. But since each person is doing the same thing, the social cues of the group reinforce the notion that no help is needed.

Our Friends, Neighbors, or Co-Workers
The thought occurred to me that maybe a variation of the bystander effect is at work hindering Christians from sharing our faith with others like we should.
(1) Perhaps we don’t boldly share our faith because we don’t feel individually responsible for the other person. I barely know the names of some of my neighbors, let alone know anything about their spiritual life. I’m ashamed to admit the “percentage” of responsibility I feel for them is very low.
(2) Perhaps we don’t boldly share our faith because we fear failure or embarrassment. After all, there are other Christians who know how to share their faith better than we do. Maybe we won’t have the answers to their questions. Maybe we’ll just make things worse. Maybe the person is already a Christian and there’s no real spiritual emergency after all.
(3) Perhaps we don’t boldly share our faith because we are reading the wrong social cues. If I don’t hear my friends talking about sharing their faith, if I don’t see them doing it, if it doesn’t come up in our conversations or our prayers together, if the topic is absent in my relationships with other believers, then I begin to act and think as if it isn’t very important.

It’s been a rambling post today – my apologies. Your thoughts or observations on the social dynamics of evangelism?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. As Christians we MUST get more involved in the lives of others that cross our paths. When we don't we are saying they aren't that important. Someone thought I was important enough to share with and the Holy Spirit convicted me of my need for Him. Thank God. I resolve everyday that I am going to do more to share the gospel but everyday I come up way short! Thanks for another shot in the arm to encourage me to do better. Reminds me of the old song."People Need the Lord"!

Anonymous said...

We don't share or get involved because we are SELFISH and don't want to get out of our comfort zone. If we did we might have to make a committment to continue to share, help,teach, give and that is too much to consider in our own busy, needy lives.
I'm ashamed but I guess not ashamed enough. A preacher once asked" Where has our burden and tears for those who are lost gone?"
Too many of us need a wake-up call and I hope when it comes we can still hear it. I really don't want to be a bystander. How sad we must make the Lord.

Unknown said...

Upon hearing of the shooting at Virginia Tech, and after letting it all sink in, one thougth kept coming back over and over again..."Why didn't anyone try to stop him. He was just one person!!"

In this case, I can only try to understand the fear and confusion those students and teachers must have felt. But, just think if only a few of those students had taken action. Instead of holding the doors closed forcing him move on to other victims, what if they had acted instead of reacting?

It's the same in our Christian lives. If we truly acted like it was life and death for us, more people would share the Truth with those around them. But we are selfish! We react. We react to our emotions and feelings of inadequacy. We are afraid of being embarassed, or being told "no". The thing we need to understand most is that it's not up to us, it's up to God.

What we need to understand is that...IT IS LIFE OR DEATH for those who don't know Christ!!! Don't be a bystander.

Unknown said...

I want you to know that I used this example in my Sunday school class the other day. We were talking about why we're not bolder in our Christian witness and this was the first thing I could think of.

Aaron New said...

Thanks, Curt. I hope it was helpful.

Anonymous said...

you're right. we don't really care about what the other person is going through especially if we don't personally know that person. We are selfish and we tend to be embarrassed to share our thoughts and feelings. The scary thing is that more and more people are becoming mere bystanders even if they know it in their hearts that the world around them is screaming for help.

Anonymous said...

Hello Aaron;
My name is Russett (Evans) Stubbs, and I went to school with your Parents. Your Mother and I rode the same school bus and my Parents knew your Grandparents. Although your Mother and I did not run in the same crowd, I always thought she was just about the sweetest and nicest person one would want to meet or know. Your Father was fairly popular in school and was also just as nice and friendly of a person as your Mother was, and is still.
I was not aware of your blog until today when I stumbled onto it.
I have prayed for you though after hearing of your health condition at our reunion.
Aaron, I am a Christian, and a firm believer that everything that happens to us, or around us, is for a reason. That reason is to glorify God and to bring the knowledge of his existence to the people that need to know about him, and to straighten the faith of the ones that already know of him. Sometimes we don't see the rippling effects of certain situations, and then sometimes we do.
You said that it was not your intent to have your blog center around your illness, but it seems to always come back to that very thing. My Dear Boy, don't you realize God is using you? Look at how many people you have touched! Through your unwavering faith in God, in spite of your condition, and because of your condition you have grabbed the attention of 23,828 (known) people who have visited your blog since May 4Th 2007. That my Darling, is not counting the masses of people that have not visited your blog. There are many, (like myself until today) that are not aware that your blog exists, but because of your Mother and Father and all the other Family and Friends that love you and care about you, the word is getting out to others about you and your illness and your faith in God. It just keeps spreading and going farther out to people that in turn tell others and that's were the rippling effect comes in..... and God is Blessing you for each seed that has been sown in the hearts of each Man, Woman and Child that has heard your story threw you and your family and friends. The end is drawing near, and God is reaching out to as many as he can. Threw you and others like you. Aaron, you are an instrument of God, to lead people to him. Weather he takes you home in the rapture or before, know that you are being Blessed by our Lord through your trials and tribulations.
I've seen it and witnessed it in my own family, and yes, the rippling "it's amazing"
GOD IS ALIVE AND DOING WELL, AND STILL PERFORMING MIRACLES!!!
Therefore, there is still "POWER IN PRAYER"......... God Bless you Aaron, and God Bless your Family, and may he not put more upon you, than you can bare. I Pray that the Lord performs a miracle and heals you. I Pray that the Lords heals you so you can yet tell people what he has done for you threw the power of prayer. I also pray that he takes you home not before but in the rapture with your Parents, Family, Friends and the rest of us.
God Bless you Aaron, you are an inspiration to many.
I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
With All My love
Your Sister Through Christ
Russett
soar_withthe_eagle@yahoo.com
P.S. If you like poetry, check out my site and don't forget to sign my guest book to let me know what you think of my poems. (Be truthful - I can take it. lol)
Honestly, I would value your opinion.
www.PoetryPublisher.com/russett