Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

More on Huckabee and Copeland

From yesterday’s post: “For now, I would love to hear your thoughts on Huckabee and Copeland.” And the silence was deafening. But will that keep me from posting on the same subject again? Nope.

Back in September, Mike Huckabee was lacking the public support from many prominent evangelical Christians. Here’s an excerpt from a September 16, 2007 interview with Huckabee addressing this very issue. (The full article can be
read here.)

Q: Why do you think religious conservatives haven't rallied around you stronger than they have, given that you share so much of what they believe?

A: I think that in some ways the Christian conservative movement has maybe gotten off the track. I think that some of them, frankly, are more intoxicated with power than principle, and I know that's a pretty outrageous if not rather bold statement to make, but I think it's the truth. Some have become so acquainted now with power and have been so close to it that they forget that the purpose for which they got involved in politics was not to be close to power; it was to speak the truth to power. It was to hold those in power, to hold their feet to the fire over issues they said got them involved and motivated. Now I hear some of the so-called Christian leaders say, "Well, we love Huckabee. He really agrees with us, and he's one of us in terms of views. But, you know, we're looking for somebody that we're confident is going to win." Well, two things. First, a lot of these people if they would get behind me I'd be winning right now, and I think I will ultimately without them. But secondly, if they really are principled, it's not about who might win, it's about who stands with us. And, frankly, it's a little disturbing, if not frightening, that some have forgotten the essence of what Jesus taught, and that is if you gain the whole world but lose your soul what does it profit you? And, frankly, some who would say, "Well, the presidency is so important." You know, well, so what? The presidency is not as important as are your values and as are your deep principles from the heart. And I worry about people who have come to this sort of "it's about winning." No. It's about standing for your convictions. And if it's not about that, then I'm afraid that many people got involved for all the wrong reasons.

That’s GREAT stuff.

But I’ve still got a problem. There are two possibilities here – at least as I see it. Possibility #1 – Huckabee knows Copeland is a theological lunatic and has decided to affiliate with him anyway. In this case, he seems to be violating the very principle he blasts Christian leaders for violating – It should be about principle, not power and winning. In this case, Huckabee would be demonstrating hypocrisy. Possibility #2 – Huckabee doesn’t know or believe Copeland is a theological lunatic. In this case, Huckabee would be demonstrating ignorance. And I’m uneasy about a presidential candidate carrying such a recent track record of either hypocrisy or ignorance.

Now for 2 disclaimers:
(1) The situation regarding conservative religious leaders supporting Huckabee has changed a bit. A good number have signed on for his Faith and Family Values Coalition (you can
read a news release here).
(2) I am now running the risk of appearing to dogpile on Huckabee. This will be my last post on him – for now, anyway. I really do like him. And I’m glad he has taken
the Republican lead in Iowa. While he has some weakness and has made some mistakes, I would consider him to be a good presidential candidate. Perhaps this is really just a case of picking on people I like. Professors are known for doing that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that before this blog I knew very little about Copeland or this ministry and I am certainly better informed now. I have to agree he is a little more than just "quirky"!
Does cause me to wonder about Huckabee's association with him. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Anonymous said...

Dr. New,

I'm a first-time reader of your blog. THANK YOU for sharing your insights about Mike Huckabee's affiliation with Kenneth Copeland! As someone who also likes Mike Huckabee, I find Huckabee's endorsement of Copeland theologically troubling and politically dangerous. As for the idea that perhaps you (and I) are simply picking on someone we like, well, I don't see it that way. As I recently shared with Governor Huckabee via email concerning this issue,"Doesn’t the truth supersede friendship and demand to be voiced whatever the cost?" As believers, we are called to hold proclaimed ministers of the Gospel, like Copeland and even Huckabee, to a high standard, for they are called to not only "correctly handle the word of Truth" (2 Tim 2:15) but to teach it to others! I encourage you to contact Mike Huckabee's campaign to share your thoughts. He needs to hear from his concerned constituents regarding this issue. Thank you again for the insights!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to clarify the above statement...
"As I recently shared with Governor Huckabee via email concerning this issue, 'Doesn’t the truth [of God's Word] supersede [Mike Huckabee's] friendship [with the Copelands] and demand to be voiced whatever the cost?'"

Aaron New said...

Sara,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

I think to be fair to Huckabee, we ought to recognize that he has on previous occassions voiced his disagreement with the prosperity gospel in general (if not with Copeland in particular).

And it could very well be that Huckabee has voiced his concerns to Copeland in their private conversations.

My issue is primarily with his public affiliation and strategic use of Copeland for the sake of votes.

If their relationship was primarily a private one, then Huckabee may not be obligated to publicly criticize Copeland. But it seems to me that once Huckabee decided to make his affiliation with Copeland a public matter, then for the sake of integrity he ought to make public his concerns about Copeland's theology.

Anonymous said...


Dr. New said,

My issue is primarily with his public affiliation and strategic use of Copeland for the sake of votes.

But it seems to me that once Huckabee decided to make his affiliation with Copeland a public matter, then for the sake of integrity he ought to make public his concerns about Copeland's theology.

I agree completely on both points above. If this truly is a strategic alignment with Copeland to gain votes - I say "if" because I do not know for a certainty that it is or isn't - then, for me, it calls into question the trustworthiness of Huckabee's political and personal integrity, as well as his dedication to his previously professed personal beliefs.

I guess I want to believe that the candidate I am voting for IS who he says he is to the best of his ability, in public and in private. For me, this is the first instance in which I've seen a seeming discrepancy between what Huckabee says he believes (previously voicing his disagreement with the prosperity gospel) and what he promotes (publicly aligning himself with Copeland without making his disagreement clear). This discrepancy comes at time in which he is actively campaigning; therefore, raising questions about the motivation behind it all.

Personally, I think most of this could have been avoided by a clearer statement from Huckabee from the beginning, rather than his email to TIME implying full support for the Copelands. And, of course, there's the matter of Huckabee's appearance on the Copelands' program at all if he truly disagrees with Word-Faith teachings and the prosperity gospel promoted by Copeland. Ah, politics truly does make for some strange bed-fellows.
Thanks for allowing me such a long post!