Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, December 17, 2007

My Christmas Odometer

Our pastor at Conway’s First Baptist reminded us yesterday that there have been approximately 732,555 days since the first Christmas. Well, at least that’s what you get when you multiply 2007 by 365.

732,555

Nothing has been the same since that first Christmas. We even started our calendar over based on that event. I started to visualize a large odometer in my head – clicking off the days since Jesus was born.

732,556

My life is in that odometer. What will I do with each day that clicks off? My life is flying by…. and there are many days that come and go with very little meaningful occurring in them. I get up. I go to work. I come home. I play with and scold my boys. I go to bed.

732,557

I’ve got to do a better job of making each of those clicks meaningful. Somehow, I started to believe that when Jesus said he came to give us a full and abundant life (
John 10:10), I just figured that meant that at the end of our life we would somehow look back and say, “yep, as a whole, that was abundant.” But perhaps the truer meaning is that each day is to be full and abundant. Jesus came on that first Christmas day and every day since is to be meaningful and abundant.

732,558

It is a shame when Christmas gifts are wasted. We’ve probably all done that before – and some of us may do it again this Christmas. But it would be tragic if we were to waste the gift we got on Christmas 732,555 days ago. That gift wasn’t just for us to have life on the other side of heaven. It was for life in the here and now, too.

732,559

Lord, forgive me for wasting the days that you intend to be rich and abundant. Help me make the most of each click.

732,560

732,561

732,562

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, Aaron. Very true and a great reminder for all of us. Here's hoping and praying that we all remember this even in the busy-ness and craziness of Christmas. (How ironic!) Wouldn't it be great if each "click..." each day meant someone we came into contact with was that much closer to Jesus?!?!? Thus leaving us that much closer to Him as well, of course. That's my goal.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Dr. New, but there is nothing in our power that can be used to bring this about. My prayer is that we empower the Holy Spirit to use us to touch other people. It is then and only then, that a person in need is lifted up and restored. My goal is to be alert to His calling. Have a wonderful Christmas and a blessed New Year. In Christ.