Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Goal of Higher Education, Part 2

Don’t believe me that the goal of higher education should be to teach students how to think? I personally believe that U.S. Americans should watch this clip.

6 comments:

Aaron New said...

And just in case you wanted the transcript....

Q: Recent polls have shown that a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?

A: I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future. For our children.

Anonymous said...

It's just like you said, we don't know how to think for ourselves anymore. It hurts to think, so we let others do the thinking for us.

My dad recently showed me a book that belonged to a colonel (I think) during the Civil War. The book was very well-written, and well-argued. But that didn't stop the owner of the book from writing criticisms throughout it. In other words, the colonel picked apart many of the author's arguments.

Today, I think most of us take hook, line, and sinker what someone tells us. It's easier to trust someone like James Dobson or Rush Limbaugh or (insert the name of a textbook author) to think for us. Few of us could engage in true critical thinking even if we wanted. We have not been taught it. Nor have we been taught creative thinking!

By the way, the reason so many people couldn't spot the United States on a map is because they couldn't use their OnStar system.

Eric Hudson said...

In the words of a fellow co-worker and theologian.. "That girl is a space cadet."

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! In the words of a famous comedian....."Wow! You have....derailed!" (from the movie "Tommy Boy" in case you don't recognize it!!!)

Craig Smith said...

Dr. New, when I see that clip, I am reminded (as I am sure many others are as well) of this quote from another recent American movie, BILLY MADISON:

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul."

david b mclaughlin said...

I feel so sorry for this girl. SHe is 17 i think, in a contest on national tv, and goes blank. I dont buy for a second she is this stupid. She froze.

HOWEVER, in a horrible attempt at spin control she said the next day that she thought the question was asking something else. Somebody probably told her to say that.

But what question could possibly go in front of that answer?

I still feel sorry for her.