Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, August 27, 2007

The Goal of Higher Education

Click here for an interesting article by Gary Ledbetter – The ‘Imperative’ of Higher Education.

At its core, the article is discussing what should be the core goal of a college education. Should it be to prepare students for a future career? No, according to Ledbetter. Should it be to build character in the students? Again the answer is no. Should it be to help students find an identity? To acquire knowledge? To gain new experiences? No, no, and no.

A college education should train students to think.

Martin Luther King Jr. wrote this about higher education. “To save man from the morass of propaganda, in my opinion, is one of the chief aims of education. Education must enable one to sift and weigh evidence, to discern the true from the false, the real from the unreal, and the facts from the fiction.”

I don’t know if I would discount career training or character building as much as you might sense in Ledbetter’s article. But I agree that highest priority ought to be given to helping students learn to think well. I don’t yet know how good of a job I do of that as an educator. Sometimes that is harder work than just stuffing data into students' heads, hoping they can spit it back out on an exam.

One of my favorite classes at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary was Systematic Theology, taught by Dr. David Kirkpatrick. I remember walking out of that class often pondering to myself, “I don’t know how much I just learned in that class, but I sure had to think a lot.” In fact, several years later, I shared this with Dr. Kirkpatrick. I’m not sure he took it as a compliment, but I meant it as the highest of compliments. I wasn’t aware of how much knowledge I was acquiring (thought it turned out to be quite a lot in that class), but I was well aware that I was thinking hard about difficult topics. It was a GREAT class.

I’d like for students to be able to say the same thing about my classes someday.

3 comments:

Craig Smith said...

I always think ever so deeply when I have lunch with Dr. New.

Anonymous said...

Well Dr. New...trust me when I say you definitely make your students think. I have no doubt that you will be a teacher who makes an impact in the lives of your students. We not only learn facts but are challenged to think...sometimes so much my head hurts :)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this post, and not just because you are my teacher, but because you are exactly right. Higher Education, especially in this state, has gone overlooked and that is one of the main reasons why so much of what was believed and taught about politics, religion, economics, and culture 50 years ago is still believed and excepted today. It is through Higher Education that all your past views are challenged, and possibly for the first time you are confronted with opposing view points. This is when true learing and wisdom takes place. When someone has taken the time to weigh out all possible options on a subject and come up with the right conclusion is when true learing takes place.

Jason Goodwin