Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Praying for the New School Year

I mentioned in my last post that I’m proud to be at an institution where the RA’s care enough about students to come early before students move in and do a prayer walk around the dorms and rest of the campus. I’m guessing they prayed for many things that day.

I began to wonder what I would have prayed for that day had I participated. Then I realized that my prayers for CBC and my students are often rather generic. I should be more specific, I think.

As a way of discussing what we are all looking forward to this year, I’d like to hear what you are most likely to pray for. What is most important to you? What do you most want to accomplish at CBC this year? What do you most want God to do in your life this year? What do you most want God to do for CBC this year?

What are you praying for this school year?

5 comments:

Aaron New said...

OK. I'll try to get us started.... Here are a couple of things I'm going to be praying for this year.

(1) That God will send more male students to the Psychology and Social Services program. I don't have anything against the gals, you understand. There is just a desperate need for men to serve in this area.

(2) That students will establish deep, genuine, and lifelong frienships while here at CBC.

Anonymous said...

Aaron...

I'm glad you raised this issue. I truly believe prayer will catapult this college to the next level. And when I say "next level," I mean progress as God defines progress. I've committed myself to praying more--and more specifically--this year than in prior years. (Shamefully)

I'm praying for the business department and the Horizon Business Assn. That God will develop Christian business leaders through this school's business programs.

I'm praying for revival. That the campus would overflow with God's power, and that we would impact the community in a mighty way.

I'm praying for the employees. God has gifted this college with tremendous employees, and for that I am extremely grateful. But I pray we will all approach this new school year with renewed vigor. It's all about God!

I'm praying for the new missions department, as well as the approaching four-year science degrees.

I'm praying that the dormitories will be filled with joy, friendship and holy living.

Thanks for the opportunity to share, good buddy.

Craig Smith said...

Aaron

Good idea. I don't go to school but as a minister to students, here are my simple, yet specific prayers:

1) I pray for their physical safety, that God would keep psychos and nutjobs and wingnuts off of the campuses
2) That my students would be light and share Jesus when they have the chance, being sensitive to the spirit's leadership
3) I pick two or three different students each day and pray specifically for them - for their pressures, their witness to their friends, that they are good sons and daughters, that they respect authority at school and that whatever day I pray for them they would display the kindness and compassion of Christ.

Good topic idea, I think. I certainly need to pray for specifically and frequently.

Henry said...

Wow, where to begin . . . .
I am praying that my own spiritual journey will be re-invigorated and that I will consistently put Christ first.

I am praying that our students will learn and that they will find that wisdom and knowledge are gifts from God that should be embrace.

I am praying that I will make real progess on my dissertation, so I can get that distraction out of the way; maybe I just need for God to change my attitude on this issue!

I am praying that everyone on campus will get a vision that we serve God best by serving others--God's love is never obsolete and we should be willing to comfort others with the comfort we have received.

Anonymous said...

(1) For myself--direction as I am about to graduate. All I have known is school for so long...I'm not sure what I will do when it is over.

(2) With the plethra of students becoming engaged & married (or even just entering serious relationships) I am praying that these relationships are built on a love that Christ has ordained.

(3) For CBC I am praying that it will continue to impact the lives of students for Christ, pushing them beyond lukewarm.