Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Goal of Higher Education, Part 3

This is my last post on the topic (for now). Here are some great quotes on the nature and goals of education. Hope you find them as interesting as I do.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't. – Anatole France

Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence. – Robert Frost

The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future life. – Plato

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. – B.F. Skinner

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. – Aristotle

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. – Will Durant

Passive acceptance of the teacher's wisdom is easy to most boys and girls. It involves no effort of independent thought, and seems rational because the teacher knows more than his pupils; it is moreover the way to win the favour of the teacher unless he is a very exceptional man. Yet the habit of passive acceptance is a disastrous one in later life. It causes man to seek and to accept a leader, and to accept as a leader whoever is established in that position. – Russell Bertrand

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers. – Voltaire

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why I love CBC, intellectual integrity is at the heart of true learning, and I believe CBC actually offers that. There are some in our association that would rather us to just indoctrinate our students and never allow them the chance to truly learn something. Thanks again for truly caring about your students and their intellectual well-being.

Jason Goodwin