Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Random Bits II

I don’t know how many RAs of college dorms around the country do a prayer walk around the campus, praying for the incoming students before school starts. But I’m glad I’m at CBC where they do.


It is very sad that a website like
this one has to exist. If/when you visit, consider this website more of a personal one than a news journal. It is sad nonetheless.


Things that make me feel old:
- having to buy reading glasses at 35 years of age
- mentioning an episode of
Seinfeld in class and getting blank stares
- admitting I have only sent about 6 text messages in my life

Things that make me feel young:
- spending time with my
CBC students
- playing with my two boys at home
- holding hands with my wife


I only have ONE rating on
ratemyprofessors.com. But I do have a chili pepper. That’s just weird.

3 comments:

Rachel Whittingham said...

Things that make me feel old:

* When people have never heard of Richard Marx, Chevettes, and think Full House is a current show.

Alan Paul said...

stopbaptistpredators is absolutely a necessary site. I am not sure I would consider it just a personal site. That seems to tag it as less true - when it's obviously not. It may not be a news site, but consider that most of the stories about predators on their are links to news stories. Just my opinion.

Even sadder than the necesssity of such a site are the victims of these guys. Let's not forget that these guys leave a trail of destruction in their wakes in the form of ruined lives.

Thanks...

Henry said...

What makes me feel old?
1. Needing reading glasses in addition to contact lenses.
2. Realizing that I have a 13-year-old son whose voice is changing and who has peach-fuzz facial hair.
3. Seeing pictures of myself in the 1990 CBC yearbook (dig the mullet!).

What makes me feel young:
1. Cade, my four-year-old Wiggles fan.
2. Knowing how to pronounce 50 Cent's name.
3. Seeing Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney at the top of the album charts.

I have very mixed feelings about the stopbaptistpredators site. While this is the kind of information that should be disseminated, it also would be very easy to abuse the site's intent to turn into a forum for personal grudes or, worse, for witch-hunts based on little or no evidence (think "To Catch a Predator," on MSNBC, which has resulted in at least one suicide).