Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Loudness War

If you have a good ear for music, you might pop in a new CD today and recognize the quality is poorer than CDs produced years ago. Record producers have been fixated on making music louder and louder, often at the expense of quality. Watch this short video for a more complete explanation.



At the end of the clip, the commentator remarks, “When there is no quiet, there can be no loud.” This seems to be a wonderful metaphor for our hectic, activity-packed, loud lives. Have you noticed our obsession with things that are big, loud, and otherwise extreme? It’s not just about volume - we are drowning all of our senses. And our Christian lives are no exception, either. We feel good about our church services, concerts, and “worship experiences,” but even in these we have fallen to the temptation of bombarding our senses and calling it real.

Just as the music quality suffers when CDs are made louder and louder, the quality of our lives suffer when we jam our senses and our lives full of stuff, even good stuff.

Our Father tells us, “Be still, and know that I am God.”

We need times of quiet reflection, solitude, and meditation. These quiet times in our lives will surely bring more crispness and clarity to the rest. It is ironic, I suppose. If you really want a big, loud, rich, full life… be sure to tune in to the quiet times of your life. When there is no quiet, there can be no loud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listening to God is far more important than speaking to God. Though He desires our verbal communication he already knows our heart and thoughts but without, as you say our being quiet and listening to Him, we far too often miss hearing Him and His direction for our lives.
People today do not like quiet..they fill every second of their day with conversation, music, TV or other noise. We fill our minds with sounds to fill the void that otherwise would be filled with thougths we don't want to deal with.

Henry said...

I find that my kids require constant stimulation--we live in an age when we are bombarded with "sound and fury," most of it "signifying nothing." It's interesting how the devices that we envisioned creating more leisure time in fact often leave us with less and fill our minds with stuff that we don't necessarily want or need.

Aaron New said...

Good words, Henry. You need your own blog.

Craig Smith said...

And of COURSE they use "Figure of Eight" by Macca.

I actually have that song (from his album "Flowers in the Dirt" and also from "Tripping the Live Fantastic") on my iPod and will be glad to play it for you, with that original clarity. Nothing deep here. Just more pride in the Macca.