Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, July 6, 2007

Identity, Part 2

Maybe this would be better titled, "Address Book, Part 2" because this is really just a second observation from my pseudo-experiment.
I noticed how much the people in my address book were just like me.

Here are a couple of other things I noticed as I looked in my personal address book... Only 5 were minorities. And none were buddhist, muslim, mormon, or any other non-Christian religion (at least that I knew of).

One commenter on my first post put it this way.

I looked at my email address book...........yep pretty much everyone is a lot like me. Oh there are some personality differences but ...........same sex, same church background, same age, same income (give or take 10 to 20 thousand) same family values, same education, same humor. Where is the diversity? Of course we all have different spritual gifts and talents but still.......kind of revealing. I don't know one person who likes to jump from planes or who likes snakes...... etc. I must enlarge my territory.

I'm sure this is true of most people. That's because there is another social phenomenon at work. Not only do we become like the people with which we spend time, but groups (once formed) tend to stay homogeneous.

This is a dangerous combination. At best, it produces isolation and ignorance. At worst, it produces elitism and discrimination. I need to do a better job of finding places to connect with people who are not like me.

I've got a couple of other thoughts, but I'll see if anyone is interested in the topic first.... What do ya'll think?

AN

No comments: