Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Advice to Parents

Parenting is tough. Shanda and I think we have nearly the best-behaved boys around. And yet, even they can be very trying sometimes. Whining, willful disobedience, rowdiness, and temper tantrums can all wear a parent’s nerves pretty thin.

It’s not like parental advice is scarce, though. If you’d like some suggestions for being a better parent or raising a better child, all it takes is one trip to any bookstore or magazine rack. Or just ask your friends and family. Take your kids with you to public places enough, and sooner or later even perfect strangers will be offering you advice.

Some sources of parental wisdom are better than others. Certainly some are more well-known than others. You may have heard of these guys.

Dr. Spock
Dr. Sears
Dr. Dobson

But here’s a bit of parenting wisdom from
Vicks. Sometimes going on the attack is the best form of defense. Watch the commercial. I’m going to try this sometime.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron...

As someone who doesn't have kids, I know all there is to know about being a parent. But thanks for you concern. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Why haven't I thought of this yet? Just wait until we go to Larry's pizza next time, I'm going to try out this method since we saw Ethan's version last time......

Anonymous said...

Aaron- I will take parenting advice from you anytime. You and Shan do an incredible job! Thanks for being such great friends!

Unknown said...

I've actually done this before...well, not the thrashing around on the floor and all, but the fake crying, whining, etc. I've done this to other people's kids when it's obvious they're just trying to manipulate their parent to do something. It is so funny the reaction you get. The kid will immediately stop crying (or fit-throwing, or whatever) and look at you like..."What is YOUR problem?" The parents usuall give an appreciative chuckle and use the time to discipline a little more.

Henry said...

Wow, that is precisely what I do when my four-year-old pitches a royal hissy. Glad to see my tried and true methods receiving some media validation. ;)