Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, July 9, 2007

We Fight and Sometimes Die...

(7/10/07 edit - see note at end of post)

There is nothing original in my post today. It is ripped straight from Wade Burleson's blog and it is well worth reading....

This amazing picture has drawn a lot of comments from readers of the Nashville paper, The Tennessean. One of the hundreds of letters received is from a man who attended the funeral where this young boy received the flag in honor of his father.

Dear Tennessean:

The Tennessean's April 5 photograph of young Christian Golczynski accepting the American flag from Marine Lt. Col. Ric Thompson is one of the most moving and emotion provoking images I have ever seen.

My wife and I attended funeral services for Christian's father, Staff Sergeant Marcus Golczynski, on April 4, along with our six year-old son, dozens of Marines, and several hundred others who came to pay tribute to this fallen hero.

As one would expect, many of your readers were touched by this incredible picture. Staff Sergeant Golczynski had previously served one full tour in Iraq. Shortly before his death on March 27 he wrote to his family that he had volunteered to do this a second time due to our deep desire to finish the job we started. In his letter he said, "We fight and sometimes die so that our families don't have to." Tragically, Staff Sergeant Golczynski had only two weeks remaining on his second tour. We look at the photograph of Christian every day. It is displayed prominently in our home. Our hearts ache for Christian and for all those who have lost loved ones in this controversial conflict.

Our nation is at a historical crossroads. Do we call an end to the struggle in Iraq or press on? Staff Sergeant Golczynski eloquently told his son how he felt about not giving up. Perhaps there is a lesson for all of us in this man's life and the choices he made. He was undeniably a man of tremendous courage and conviction. America must now choose whether to complete the job.

When looking at the face of Christian Golczynski I am reminded that doing what is right is not always easy and doing what is easy is not always right. Christian's dad knew that too.

James Drescher

I pray my own children never take for granted their freedoms, or the freedoms of other people in democratic societies, obtained by the sacrifice of men and women like Staff Sergeant Marcus Golczynski. Our prayers are with the Golcyzynski family, particularly young Christian Golczynski.

(My wife suggested that this post could be interpreted primarily as a "pro-war" post. That wasn't really my intent. I'm not well-informed enough to know whether or not our current efforts in Iraq are worthwhile. The war in Iraq is an emotional issue, but I'm sure that history will give us better perspective. What struck me most by Burleson's post and Drescher's letter was the message left by a father to his son. We read in this story how a dad taught his son - both in word and action - a critically important life lesson. There ARE some things in life that are worth fighting for and even worth dying for. Perhaps the picture moved me so much because I could imagine my oldest son in that picture. It is heartwrenching to imagine a young boy trying to be brave for his father at the funeral. Surely this boy will remember and will shape his own life by the this lesson his father lived out for him. It makes me wonder what kind of lessons I'm teaching my own sons now. If I were to die today - have I left them any critically important life lessons?)

AN

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are critically important life lessons we should teach our children?

Anonymous said...

I liked the post Dr. New, that picture stirred a sadly familiar picture in my own life. My grandfather died a year ago this summer and although he did not die in war he did serve our country and at his funeral, while i stood by my dad trying to be strong for him as he was trying to be strong for everyone else while he accepted the flag in honor of his dad. I watched the tears well up in his eyes as well as the sg. who gave it to him. Those who have served our country make a greater impact on those around them then they ever know.

Aaron New said...

Anonymous,
I don't know that I'm the best expert. I'll give it some thought - but I'd like to hear your thoughts in the meantime.

Thanks for posting, Megan. "Those who have served our country make a greater impact on those around them then they ever know." This is so true. I should thank veterans more often and I should take veterans day more seriously.

AN

Anonymous said...

Life lessons: Don't take yourself too seriously. Don't be offended easily. Most of the time people upset us..they didn't intend to.

Truly treat people like you'd like to be treated!

Remember that no matter what God is in control.

Tell those you love.......you love them everyday!

Aaron New said...

Good ones, Anony.
I might add these three....

Life does not revolve around you.

Things are never as bad or as good as they seem.

When 80s fashion returns, do NOT buy parachute pants.

Scotty said...

Oddly enough, Dr. New, what struck me as I read your edit was an appreciation for our wives. They allow us to go out in manly thunder proclaiming our beliefs and provoking feedback from others, but then evry once in a while, they say, "Honey, you might want to try it this way, because you could be misunderstood in this way." It makes me remember how glad I am that God gave me Leslie.

david b mclaughlin said...

found you from craigs blog. as i am turning forty i am writing a blog/book on the forty most important life lessons i have learned.

you can find it at:
http://fortyblog.blogspot.com

Aaron New said...

That's good stuff over there, David.