Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, July 30, 2007

The Call of Jesus

Overcoming the pain, bleakness, bills, boredom, and brokenness of life seems to be a deep yearning, hard-wired into the soul of every person. The world is full of modern gurus… who promise to help anyone willing to pay for such an escape from life. Myriad promises and elaborate plans exist to help people find nirvana, strike it rich, reach some superconsciouness, change the world, or attain true inner peace.

Then there is the call of Jesus. Jesus’ timeless message still trumpets its hallowed, outrageous offense: “I bid you to come and die.” But in that dying, something else is reborn: new life in the present and the seed of eternal life to come. This is true spirituality, not the false, man-made, human-centered, creature-glorifying variety. This is what everyone is seeking even if they don’t know it yet—even if they come to it fighting, screaming, and complaining.

The simple, unvarnished truth is that God makes something happen in us that we cannot do by ourselves—nor can any other human being do it for us. …God in Christ is the Great Physician, the only One who is able to apply healing salve to our aching souls. God in Christ is the Great Redeemer, seeking and saving the lost, redeeming our darkened and desperate lives from great travail. God in Christ is the Great Reconciler who forges new bonds and creates renewed relationships out of broken shards that otherwise would only cut and wound….

Though it is a road less traveled; nonetheless, this is true spirituality.

(from Tim Clinton and George Ohlschlager in Competent Christian Counseling)

No comments: