Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Lessons from Toad Suck Daze (part II)

I worked at a booth at Toad Suck on Sunday morning for Life Choices. (There’s a plug for you, Maria!) While at the booth, I heard this comment from a dad as he led his family through a downtown street. For some reason, it caught me really funny and I nearly laughed out loud as they passed by.

Coltuhn!! Give yur turtle to yur sissy so you can eat yur pickle!”

This little kid had a box in one hand (with a hole in the top and a turtle inside) and a jumbo pickle in the other. He was struggling mightily to manage both of them at the same time.

You see all kinds of people at events like Toad Suck. For example, over the weekend, I saw……
Some people wearing flip-flops, some wearing combat boots.
Some people with long hair, some people with no hair.
Some people in motorcycle gangs, some people in scrapbooking clubs.
Some people who smoke, some who don’t.
Some people who liked the Bret Michaels concert, some who liked Michael English.
Some people with kids, some people without.
Some Republicans, some Democrats.
Some people with lots of tattoos, some without.
Some people with lots of teeth, some without.
Some people who appreciate good hygiene, some people who don’t.
Some people who appreciate fried Oreos, some people who don’t.
Some people lots of money, some people without much money at all.
Some people who were like me, some people not so much.

Lesson #2 from Toad Suck Daze = God must value and enjoy variety in his creation. So should I.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, all God's creation has value...especially those who enjoyed Bret Michaels and Michael English.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the free advertising...Loved the lesson...I too am always reminded of the creativity and sense of humor of God at Toad Suck :)

Unknown said...

I'm sorry that I had to bring this up, but you left one important thing off your list...

Some people liked the Toad Bucks, some people did not.

Anonymous said...

ya gotta love a city with a festival called
"Toad Suck"!

BritBoat said...

LOVE love LOVE the quote you gave from the dad talking to his son about the pickle. I especially liked the way you spelled it out the way he phonetically said it. Thank you.

I admit, I like fried Reeses cups.

Anonymous said...

Aaron....cool blog. I'm wondering if I should be offended by the scrapbooking people comment??? One thing was consistent with all people there....they were ALL SWEATING.

Aaron New said...

Jenni,

I would never want to offend the scrapbookers! Although, come to think of it, scrapbookers may be more like motorcycle gangs than I initially thought.

- Both have their own private parties.
- Both will travel great distances and stay up all night to have their parties.
- Both have their own set of cool toys.
- Both give their members cool nicknames (but I'll keep myself out of trouble and not blog the gal-pal nicknames)
- Both wear jean jackets and leather chaps.

OK. That last one was a little off. But it's a funny visual.