Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

More Seriously...

There are more pressing matters over which I should be blogging than tattoos, Levitical laws, and Protestant/Catholic sensitivities. I can assure you that on the 2nd floor oncology unit of Conway Regional Medical Center, where too many people are facing life and death every day, these topics are uncommon.

Thank you for your continued interest in and prayers for me. I have been in very good condition. If I haven’t declared it boldly enough lately – let me do so again now: GOD IS GOOD. Since round 2 of my chemotherapy began, I have had no debilitating symptoms. My appetite and energy have been good. I have slept better than previously. I have had good visits with friends and family. I have not had to fight nausea, serious headaches, moodiness, or pain as I did at times in the first round. And my heart has been steady and strong! I had another spinal tap today that went very smoothly. I am well aware that very problematic symptoms could be in my future – but I am checking off each day one at a time – and recent days for me have been very good.

I have been contemplating the many things for which I should be and am extremely thankful. There is a long list by now – and I’ve decided that I should try to share some of them with you soon. I need some creative help, though. (This is where audience participation would be helpful!) I would like to title the “thankful” posts with something catchy. I thought of the passage “Rejoice in the Lord Always, Again I Say Rejoice” and came up with the “RITLAAISR posts.” But that’s obviously ridiculous. Ephesians 5:20 says to give thanks always for all things – but the “TAFAT posts” is equally weird, isn’t it?

Help me with a title, and I’ll start sharing about God’s wonderful provisions in my life – some of them huge and magnificent, some of them small and quirky -- but all of them worth mentioning in order to praise the King.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron, I think that you need to use your own words as a title. GIG-Notes
(God Is Good). I am really glad that your 2nd round is treating you a lot better and that is where the God IS Good comes in. Really God is Great but that doesn't match the song that Denny always sings. Praying for you, Carolyn

Larry Jones said...

Aaron, I'm not so good at figuring out how to use this comment box. This is the second attempt...if you have received this message before, just chalk it up to ignorance (mine, of course). Leah and I are continually praying for you, Shanda, and the children. Your blog is encouraging, uplifting, challenging, and at times, hilarious! We admire your steadfast faith and courage through this valley experience. Hey, the mountaintop is coming! We love you all!

Anonymous said...

Ok so Your dad sent an email out today with your blog included. I read it at work and spent much of the day trying to come up with some "audience participation." First I'm Super Happy that this round is better than the last, what an answer to prayer! We'll keep praying though! Second, how about Doxology. I like the word, and when you disect it the two words it comes from has great meaning. Doxa-meaning Glory and Logos-meaning word or speak so to "speak glory" or speaking of God's glory. You could change the meaning of "Keeping it on the Down Low" or just say DL, or Doxologies. Thinking out loud on this one! (I wasted a lot of time and didn't come up with much! LOL)

Hang in there we're still prayin for ya!
andy