Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Sunday, November 30, 2008

6 Random Weekend Observations

(1) I started taking humongous dosages of steroids yesterday (this is in addition to the regular steroids I sometimes get). It was a little hard to fall asleep. And I woke up wide-eyed at 5:00 am with my fingers playing percussion on my mattress to the tune of “Brick House” by the Commodores. If that offends, don’t hold it against me. I’ll try to wake up to some good and wholesome Gaithers next time.

(2) There is nothing very good on TV on Sunday mornings between 5:00 and 9:00.

(3) Speaking of Sunday TV…. I’ve discovered the formula for being wildly wrong and yet wildly popular at the same time. 70% name-it-claim-it-positive-thinking-pop-psychology-mind-over-matter-health-and-wealth jibberish. 25% sweet disposition, boyish good-looks, and sincere personality. 5% eye blinking like on the verge of a seizure. Voila – you are tickling the ears (and pocketbooks) of people with half-truths and Scripture taken out of context with no serious exegesis. It’s actually worse than that, but I’ll reserve my more scathing comments for some other day, when I’m not on steroids perhaps. (Thom, your parents have influential contacts in Houston. Can’t they DO something about that nonsense?)

(4) Humongous dosages of steroids might make a person want to eat like a horse, but they do not make hospital food taste any better. I wonder if pizza places deliver to hospitals.

(5) Having family visit me in the hospital is always good. But it was a little disconcerting to have my mother suggest to my sister that she pluck the few hairs I have left on my legs. My sister actually did. She’s got a weird thing for popping bubble wrap and stuff, so I shouldn’t be surprised, though.

(6) I love BCS chaos.

Thanks for checking in on my blog. I’m feeling much better than I did a few days ago. It looks like I MIGHT be able to go home in the next day or two.

Enjoy my early morning tune below….

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome...I actually still have a few of those Commodores....uupps, I mean "Gaither"...albums.

Peas on Earth said...

We're very, very, immeasurably offended. :-)

Hope you're out soon. Oh, and even if pizza places won't deliver to the hospital, perhaps your sister could exchange her tweesers for a large deep-dish meat trio or something ...

*hint, hint to the sis* ;-D

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with the Commodores? It works for me! Now, if Mick could get some satisfaction, the Stones would be happy!

O.G.

Henry said...

At least you're not one, twice, three times a lady.

Anonymous said...

nor once, twice, three times a milk jug.

dad

Peas on Earth said...

Aaron--rather than be offended I am enlightened. Though I'm pretty decent with music trivia, I never would have guessed that this was the Commodores. I have a really good excuse, though--the 80s are my decade. Give me a Lionel Richie 80s tune and I'm all over it.

Paul

Peas on Earth said...

Aaron, don't let Paul fool you. Granted, he does have unlimited memory capacity for useless 80s music trivia - oh, and baseball - and he did own some Lionel Richie LPs (so did I - man, we're old), but as for being "all over" Lionel Richie? I mean "all over" Lionel Richie tunes? Well ... that's just ... weird.

Get some rest now, eh? No dancin' on the ceiling or anything.

Unknown said...

I was up sick Sunday morning too. And just so you know, there is nothing good on TV between 3 and 6 either. :) Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Aaron--

Observations of my own:
1) Your transparency and gracious humor under trial is a gift you can't fully appreciate from your side of things. Thank You.

2) Sacred Sex IS the finest book on sexuality from a Christian perspective that I have seen. Nice job catching up with Dr. Gardner. Amber and I use some of his premarital stuff as well.

3) The '80's song titles are epic. Always nice to hear from another child of the Hair Band Era.

Amber and I look forward to an opprotunity to see you, hug your neck, and rejoice with you. Thanks for how you continue to minister. It's a joy. Continuing to pray,

Shawn Crawley

Anonymous said...

Why you gotta hate on my boy Joel Osteen?

-The Healthy/Wealthy Zeb Balentine

Henry said...

In Aaron's defense, he never mentioned anyone by name. :) Actually, though, I'm glad I'm not the only disturbed by this unnamed TV evangelist's blink rate. It's like he's trying to keep his contacts wet. Or maybe he's trying to keep the Light out of his eyes?

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://jupybyqij.arcadepages.com/gitylyp.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started take up real income.
It's all about how to select a correct companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]