Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Do They Serve Tofurkey at the Hospital?

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!
You know that Norman Rockwell painting where the mom is setting a huge turkey down on the table in front of dad, who stands ready to carve it while the other family members look on in anticipation of the coming feast? Well, it's looking a little different than that around our house today. Aaron woke up early this morning with a fever and was admitted to the hospital about 10: 30. We were told to expect that this might happen...his immune system is just shot...and it isn't anything to worry too much about. They'll treat him with IV antibiotics and between that and the shots he's taking to help his immune system rebound, he'll be feeling better in a few days. He's not thrilled about spending the holiday in the hospital, but as the doctor said this morning, he'll miss this one so that he can celebrate the next 50! My mom and I weren't sure how long I'd be at the hospital this morning, so we decided to wait until this evening to have our "feast" here at home. One of the small groups from church brought us a deep-fried turkey, all the side dishes, and a couple of desserts yesterday and we are looking forward to that! Even though it has turned out to be unlike any Thanksgiving we've ever had before (in fact, this is the first time EVER that we haven't gone to Kansas!) we have many, many reasons to give thanks!
Shanda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shanda,

Praying for your strength and peace over these next few days. I know it's been way too long since we've been in touch, but you guys have always been so special to me. ( I was just telling my husband about you sitting next to me in Bisonettes and telling me with great enthusiasm that you and Aaron had started dating. And my kids love the story about Aaron helping me get home to KS during a crazy ice storm where my heater broke and he jumped out of his car every ten min. to scrape my windshield :-)
May you find Him to be Enough each and every moment.
With love,
Amber Crawley (Grove)

Henry said...

Tofurkey! That's a sin agin' nature!

Seriously, I hope Aaron is feeling better--I miss my next door office mate. And Donna and I are praying for Aaron, Shanda, and the boys.

Tell Aaron that I have the John Denver CDs at my office, waiting for his return. :)

Peas on Earth said...

Oh, Shanda, please keep us updated. I am so sorry that your Thanksgiving was "delayed," but we pray there will be many, many more with Aaron at home. You are in my thoughts and prayers~

Aaron New said...

If I request any John Denver CDs, somebody please tell my doctor I've gone delirious from the medications or something!

Unknown said...

Aaron, you don't want to hear any "Rocky Mountain Milk Jug High" ??? Come on! That's a classic!