Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Choice Words

I'm not a cussing man. Really, I'm not. My pastor and employer will both be glad to know this. But doggone it if I couldn't let loose with a couple of choice words today.

I just got out of the hospital on Monday - I was in for 2 full weeks and I nearly went insane. And today I'm BACK IN THE HOSPITAL AGAIN. I started running a fever and went to the clinic this afternoon. The doctor decided I should be admitted for IV antibiotics because I have some sort of infection. I say "some sort" because Oncologists don't wait around for cultures and labs to come in before they give antibiotics - especially with patients with little to no immune system. They give antibiotics first and ask questions later. We are hoping this stay is only for 3 or 4 days, but we'll see.

So please pray for the infection to go away ASAP and pray for Shanda as whe wrangles 3 boys at home by herself for a few days.

On a lighter note, my previous 2 week stay in the hospital helped me rediscover a few things...
- I had forgotten how nice fresh air is. Hospital air, not so much.
- I had forgotten how gorgeous Arkansas trees are in the fall.
- I had forgotten that eating oatmeal is what I imagine eating a hot bowl of snot would be like.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm on Benadryl right now. They give that as a standard "pre-med" before blood and platelet transfusions. I'm fighting off the sleepiness, but find myself staring blankly at the computer screen. I'll take that as a sign to stop and post something else later.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I talked to Shanda tonight at church and heard that you were back in - I will try and stop in tomorrow or Friday to say hello. Please let me know if you need anything at all, my office is not far away...

Anonymous said...

Well Honey...........

(You know the "inflection")

I love you!
Mom

Jenni said...

Hey Aaron,
This post is just another reason we have all admired your strength and faith through all of this. After 6 rounds of chemo and COUNTLESS days in the hospital & bumps in the road you are just now thinking about swearing. I don't think that would be the case for most people--myself included.

Keep in mind that 2009 will be hospital & chemo free!!

Also, you are supposed to eat toast with your oatmeal. It makes it taste less like snot.

Jenni

Anonymous said...

Hot bowl of snot...ummm...

Anonymous said...

Aaron-
I have been following your blog for a while now. It sucks that you are back in the hospital. We have a Wii that never gets used if you can figure out a way to hook it up at the hospital, I'll bring it to ya!
Jennifer Henry

Heather said...

I have to say I TOTALLY agree with Posky about the swearing!! You are going to make it, Aaron. We love you and are here if you need anything....we'd love to do a Sonic run for you this weekend if that sounds good.

Anonymous said...

Aaron, you're the man. I'm sorry about the snot. Mer and I have been awful friends but we have prayed for you and Shanda a lot through these last few months.

You know what, I had forgotten about arkansas fall colors too. Gorgeous. Tell Shanda and Life 1 that Merritt and I miss all of you!

Peas on Earth said...

We keep checking for posts. Hope you're alright Aaron, and feeling better very soon! Shanda, you are missed too! :-)
sharon

Anonymous said...

That just sucks. This whole thing sucks. Your lack of hair sucks. It did before cancer too, though. You know what else sucks? It sucks that my attitude may be worse than yours right now even though you've got it and not me. Let me know when to bring lunch, since i didn't get to last time. That sucked. dh