Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Belated Father's Day Post

Here’s something a little lighthearted today because Friday’s post will be intense.

I am the dad of the two coolest boys on the planet. I’m not kidding. You know those “My kid got an A in kindergarten” bumper stickers? I’ll be the dad whose bumper sticker says “My kids are better than your kids” or “My kids rock. Yours stink.”

My boys love to play outside. They love soccer, cars, sticks, dirt, bugs, baseball, trains, planets, superheros, monsters, guns, swords, bikes, scooters, wrestling, running, jumping, spitting, yelling, falling, new tennis shoes that make them run faster than before, swimming, exploring, climbing, crashing, and digging. Boys in general are cool. And my boys are the coolest.

But Shanda would really like to have a girl, so we are talking about having another baby. (I’m aware that talking is not how you have babies – save your emails.) I can’t blame her, I guess. But being a dad to a little girl worries me just a little bit. Watch this Sprite commercial and you’ll see why.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you have a baby girl you will gladly allow her to wrap you around her finger ANY way she wants. Boys are indeed "cool" but little girls grab your heart in ways totally unknown to a man until it happens. I hope you get that experience.

Anonymous said...

JUST REMEMBER TO TAKE THE FINGER NAIL POLISH OFF BEFORE PLAYING POKER WITH THEN GUYS. WHAT WE WILL DO FOR "BIG BLUE EYES!"

Anonymous said...

Aaron, adding a girl to the New crew is a MUST. There are already way too many boys in that house for Shanda. She will be SO SPOILED!! I'm starting the prayers now.

Anonymous said...

so, if you have a 3rd and it's a boy, are you gonna keep having kids till you get a girl?

i think every dad should have a daughter! it's funny, though, how most moms want daughters and most dads are scared of daughters, but typically, the daughters give mom way more turmoil then they give their dad. you think your boys are the coolest kids ever because they like bugs and trucks and dirt. but that is the cool thing about girls, they will go outside and play with bugs and trucks and dirt....in a tutu. :)

Anonymous said...

Tea Parties and Makeovers. My favorite part of the day.
Scotty