Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, August 29, 2008

GIG #3 - The Hickman Catheter

I’m thankful for Dr. Robert O. Hickman and his 1973 invention – the Hickman catheter. (You can read Dr. Hickman’s short bio here.) I have a love/hate relationship with this instrument. But let’s be clear here at the beginning – this is not the kind of catheter you are currently thinking of. That would be a much less complicated relationship (and would prohibit any blog pictures, I'm afraid). Rather, this is an intravenous (IV) catheter, with tubes running into my jugular vein.

It was surgically placed in my chest before chemotherapy began in order to deliver drugs, fluids, and blood transfusions. It will remain there until my treatment is over. Yes, I have tubes hanging from my chest like in the picture above. This is creepy. And although I don’t think anyone else would really notice the tubes under my shirt, I’m sometimes self-conscious about them and feel as if I need to introduce my tubes to friends and strangers alike. But blurting out, “Hi. My name is Aaron and these are my tubes” will only get me weird looks.

My sons think the tubes are kinda cool, though. I’m like some kind of part human--part machine combo now. Tanner wondered if they made me kinda like a superhero and thought maybe one tube could shoot lasers while the other one could shoot lava. I could be (cue big announcer voice) “Super-Laser-Lava-Robo-Daddy!!” But SLLRD is too long for a superhero uniform and sounds badly now matter how you try to pronounce it. So we just left it at Super Daddy.

Despite the creepiness and
periodic hassles, I am thankful that I have the Hickman catheter and have avoided countless needle sticks in my arms. You all already know how much I like those.

6 comments:

Aaron New said...

P.S. That's not my naked chest in the picture. That guy has infinitely more chest hair than I do.

david b mclaughlin said...

well that was gonna be my question!!!

Jenni said...

Thank you for not introducing us to your tubes.

What is with Tanner's lava obsession? He always asks me if stuff at our house shoots lava. I don't know what kind of toys you have at your house.

Anonymous said...

Well I didn't figure it was your chest...I mean it is too small for a super hero who shoots Lava and Lasers. And by the way, I read your Arkansas Assimilation blog. You my as well get your Hog shirt, your Hog hat, Hog nose, etc, and join the fun. And Jenni is the best friend you have, training your sons in the truth!

Anonymous said...

Hi Arron my name is janean I too will be receiving the great "Hickman" soon from the Dr. Hickman I think. Your blog is so encouraging to those of us who maybe just starting the process. May God's Blessings be upon you and your family.jnearhood72@hotmail.com

Peas on Earth said...

Aaron, just FYI, the Janean above is Paul's aunt. She is about to undergo a bone marrow transplant and, like she said, is hoping the Dr. Hickman (in Seattle) does her catheter. That should be interesting.

Paul pointed her to your blog because he thought she would find it encouraging. Thank you for letting God use you! Sharon B.