Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Why? (part 3)

I’ve mentioned a couple of times already (here and here) that I am not wrestling with the “why” question like I thought I might. Even in the middle of round 3 of chemotherapy that continues to be true. But I’ve decided that I might want to distinguish between at least two different kinds of “why” questions. First, there is the “why” question that is laden with anger, bitterness, sadness, or most of all, entitlement. This question has the person as the center of attention: “God, of all the people in the world, why did this have to happen to ME?” Whether by denial, self-righteousness, or God’s grace, I have not been struggling with this question. Compared to a perfectly holy, righteous, and just God, I actually deserve worse than a fight with cancer. I am a blessed man.

Second, there is the “why” question that is an honest, non-blaming search for God’s design. This question has God as the center of attention: “God, what are you trying to accomplish through and in me during this time? How would you have me live my life in the midst of this situation?” (Perhaps, then, this is actually a “what” or a “how” question.) I think I should be giving THIS question more thought.

There is a story in the Bible of a man with his own major life crisis – he was blind from birth: John 9:1-3: As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.”

Jesus’ disciples approach him and ask the first kind of “why” question. Why is THIS man blind? Is it his own fault or that of his parents?

But Jesus answers the second kind of question. God intends to use this man’s situation to demonstrate something about how He works.

I suppose the same could be said of my situation (and yours someday). God wants to use it to demonstrate to, both to me and to others, something about how He works. And even as I type these words, I feel the gravity of responsibility. I need to be thoughtful and diligent. This is serious business. There could be a
plan of profound importance at stake.

Honestly, I’m not sure I like that. I don’t know that God can rely on me for that. I’m not sure that I’ve ever done much that is “profound” in my life.

Pray for me through the rest of my treatment that I will be more purposeful in my behavior. Pray that I’ll have good conversations with my nurses and nurse’s aides. Pray that I’ll make sense in my blog posts. Pray that I’ll have a positive influence on my students and any others who are watching what I say and do these days. But through all of that, pray that I won’t try to do it all on my own power – pray that I’ll allow God to do His work in me.

5 comments:

Craig Smith said...

That is a great post.

I can only assume it was inspired by the music...

absonjourney said...

continuing to pray for you and your bride and the boys...
Ryan Abernathy

Heather said...

I love this, Aaron. I can already see God working through you (and IN you, too!) and through this circumstance. The work of God IS being displayed in your life. You can do it, because HE is doing it.
I have really been so amazed at all of Jesus I have seen in this so far.
Know that we are on our knees praying for you and your family each morning.
We love you guys!

andy titus said...

Great post! I love the distinction between the 2 whys. I know that you are operating out of the second why, and God is all over you. Keep the posts coming! Still praying and hoping for the best.
Judy shared photos of your boys with me today (proud Grandma Syndrome.)They are adorable, and deffinately News!

Anonymous said...

Long time reader, first time poster...
Hey Aaron, It's Kami McPherson from college. I heard about your little "cancer thing" and started to read. I must say that reading this while going through my own little cancer scare this week was uplifting. Mine turned out just fine but I find myself oddly drawn to your journey. I have been through many things in my life that beg the "why" question and now ask myself which "why" did I ask. I must say I am at about 50%. The Lord WILL always do His work in us whether we like it or not. It is a pure commitment when we don't feel it. I appreciate and covet your candor and transparancy. Know that you and your precious family are in my prayers and tell Shanda the "lighthouse" is always lit for her too! Kami McPherson Lee