Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hootie and the Blowfish and Me

Do you remember Hootie and the Blowfish? They were a phenomenon of the mid-1990s. Every college student (including me) owned Cracked Rear View. We belted out with Darius Rucker the lyrics to songs like “Hold My Hand,” “I Only Wanna Be With You,” and “Let Her Cry.” That album went platinum 16 times and still ranks as the 12th best selling album in music business history. Most people don’t know that Hootie and the Blowfish have continued to crank out albums. But none of them have reached anything close to the heights of Cracked Rear View. I don’t know if we can classify them as a one-hit wonder since they had several hits from that album. But they definitely have only had one album achieve worldwide success of any magnitude.

I saw Darius Rucker interviewed on Vh1 of something like that not long ago. He was reviewing the history of the band, and discussing the success of Cracked Rear View compared to other albums. He said that they enjoyed the wild success of that album and all the big venues and recognition it provided. But he also said they have been content with their subsequent albums, too. They are playing smaller venues, receiving less recognition, and making less money. But they are satisfied. They are not bent on trying to relive or recreate the glory days.

I would much rather be like Hootie and the Blowfish than some other bands always trying to achieve their previous success.

If, and this is a monumental “if,” this time in my life turns out to be part of a plan of profound importance, I am much more comfortable being a one-hit wonder. I don’t think I can sustain prolonged profoundness. I am amazed, even bewildered, but extremely honored that people read my blog and have found a little bit of encouragement, hope, and inspiration. Thank you for your kind words to me. Please know it’s all about God, not me.

But I have to tell you, I am looking forward to the day when my life isn’t, well, profound. I enjoy prolonged periods of normal and quiet stability. Is that wrong? A friend of mine a church mentioned in our Sunday School class this week that he desperately wanted to do big things for God. Just for one example, he wants to be like the missionary to cannibals who accomplished great things before being martyred. He wants to be a part of a profound plan.

And I caught myself thinking, “Man, I’m not so sure I want to sign up for that.” I want to have a solid Christian walk, but I’m not sure I want a life of magnitude. I don’t think I’m up to that challenge. I want a quiet life again. I like the idea of being a one-hit wonder. Seriously, is that wrong?

12 comments:

Craig Smith said...

I agree with you on many points:

1. You cannot achieve prolonged profoundness.
2. I have no desire to minister to cannibals and be martyred that way.

Rich Mullins had a great quote: "If you have the ambition to leave a legacy, you leave a legacy of ambition and nothing else." Some people are so earnest in wanting to be "bigger than life" that they miss out on MOST of life's little mercies and wonders.

What was it John Lennon wrote? "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." There is truth there.

Anonymous said...

You have a life of magnitude if you have a solid Christian walk. That's a challenge in and of itself. And there's nothing wrong with desiring a quiet life. Though I am thankful you haven't been quiet in sharing your story. I appreciate your honesty, your questions and your devotion God displayed in this blog. You and your family remain in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm like you Aaron, I want to "finish the race" I don't have to win. In fact just like in the Olympics very few win the Gold, triumph for most is in the attempt. Maybe for most of us our "profound" moments are those in which we truly yield to God's will, rather they seem monumental or small.
You are certainly in a profound place now though as you share and live your life revealing Jesus in all you say and do. It is quite a responsibility isn't it? You are up to the task however! Thank you for making a difference in how I look at life and my Christian walk.

Anonymous said...

Here I go perhaps rocking the boat...which is not a shocker to you Aaron :) I do want to leave a legacy, regardless of what Rich Mullins says.

Nicole Nordeman has a song "Legacy" which talks about leaving a mark on people's lives and whether we are called to do that quietly by serving in some remote place like Central Baptist College or in the jungles with the cannibals, it doesn't matter. I think what matters is that we do it; God has given us a mission to leave a mark on this world for Him and He calls each of us to do that in a unique way.

And honestly Aaron you have been doing that at least since I met you and no doubt before...perhaps now you simply have a bigger venue.

There is nothing wrong with ambition provided it is ambition for God not ourselves. I would venture to say Paul was pretty ambitious...I mean God has to hold him back from Spain. We need ambitious people in this war we are waging against the forces of evil. I am not saying that ambition can't turn ugly but if I call it passion or "on fire for God" are we more comfortable?

Thanks for reminding of the good old days and Hootie! Praying for ya, Friend!
Maria

Bryan Cox said...

I think it is more important that people keep calling Darius Rucker "Hootie", because it is hilarious when he gets mad and yells on VH1's I Love the 90's. P.S. Craig...don't really know you but I dig the quotes

Anonymous said...

It is not wrong to want the things you want as long as He doesn't have other plans. But sure looks like He has other plans. He knows you better than you do. Just go with it. Just do it. He will provide the calmness and quietness when He thinks its best. Right now, you are touching so many lives and I know that is a God-thing. You allowed that and look at the impact. Just go with it.

Peas on Earth said...

My good friend from college married the guy who was the original drummer for Hootie while they were a coming-on-the-scene college band. He since has left the band, called by God to ministry - first to SWBTS and now as Worship Pastor of a growing church near Houston. "Hootie and the Blowfish" have moved on and become famous, and this guy is unknown to most of their current fans. BUT, he has no regrets. They are still friends, and he sees them occasionally - even has played with them on rare occasions in the last few years. But, God has called him to another opportunity to share his talent and passion for the Lord, something Hootie did not afford him.

I am fairly confident that, in the midst of your circumstances, God is calling you out of the band you originally signed up for, and is directing you to a platform where your skills, talents, and passion for the Almighty can be (and are being) clearly seen. So much of the power potential in our relationship with God is locked up in our responses to His leading, our opportunities for obedience. Keep on writing, my friend. Keep on expressing your struggles, hopes, and unfailing confidence in the One who is calling you. Fame or not, prolonged profoundness or not, what does it matter? Who knows but that He is calling you for such a time as this. You are rising to the occasion and many, including He who has called you, are blessed.

sb

andy titus said...

What I have to say I'll try to say "with a little love, and some tenderness." Some times I want to do big things for God like your friend in Sunday School, while other times I want to be the man behind the curtain. But never, NEVER have I wanted to be the guy living in the rainforrest in a hut only to be eaten by cannibals. Not my idea of the way to go, know what I mean? I mean sometimes I just wanna "sit alone by a lamp post, trying to find a thought thats escaped my mind!"

Hebrews 12:1, "let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us" I think this pretty much sums up what we are supposed to do. Run whatever race is set infront of us with a perservering attitude. I think you are doing a wonderful job in this particular race. I think you are still in gold medal contention!

I think that people get too wrapped up in what we think is a big thing. Like a toe wanting to be a heart, or a an eye wanting to be a brain because they think the other one is more important. in actuality all are important and needed for the body to work. Big job or small job it is important in the kingdom if God is asking us to do it.

Sometimes "I dont know where Im goin, I think Im out of my mind," trying to figure out what I am supposed to do to impact the kingdom. I forget to run the race that is right in front of me.

"Maria, I just met a girl named Maria", I agree with you. It isn't bad to want to leave a legacy as long as the legacy is not all about "ME"

Good post Aaron, and don't worry about not desiring to be the main dish at the cannibal potluck dinner, I'm right there with you on this one!

Craig Smith said...

Dollars to donuts that all of those who subscribe to the "Leave a Mark on My Earth" magazine are under the age of 25.

One person's ambition to evangelize Spain is another's disobedience. Maybe God doesn't hold him back as much as he disciplines. You say pajamas...

I think we have added some American Dreamism to our Christian Kool Aid. How very post-modern of us!

Holly said...

Dr. New,
You said that you cannot achieve prolonged profoundness, and I completely disagree.
I'm not trying to be a suck up or anything, I'm only being 100% truthful. As a student of yours for the past three years, I've been amazed at your experiences and devotion to the field of psychology, and I've kept all your notes because I know they will be a great help to me in the future when I get into a sticky spot. I can always say, "What did Dr. New say about that?" I've treasured all of the things I've gleaned from your teachings, and have to say that I am not the only one. Your students think the world of you, and your profundity and legacy will always live on through us and our careers as a result of you, no matter how long you stay on this earth.

Unknown said...

The list of celebrities and PGA professionals scheduled to play at Barefoot Resort & Golf's The Dye Club in Myrtle Beach South Carolina in the 2009 Hootie & The Blowfish Monday after The Masters Celebrity Golf Tournament continues to grow. Check out Barefoot Resort & Golf's website for tickets and info.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!