Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, August 8, 2008

By the Numbers

45 – Days we’ve known that I have cancer.

2 – Rounds of chemo down, 6 more to go. For the statistically challenged, that means I’m 25% finished.

13 – Pill bottles in my pill bottle basket

18 – Pills I take every day.

14 –
Neupogen shots I’ve gotten in my belly.

3 – CT Scans after next Wednesday when we’ll find out to what extent my tumor has been reduced.

4 – Spinal taps, 12 more to go. They aren’t extremely painful, but I hate those.

4 – Episodes of throwing up. Shanda feels very sorry for me when I do, but I just keep repeating my mantra to her: “It’s just vomit.”

3 – Fingers that have been left a little numb from the chemotherapy. We don’t know if that will go away or not.

0 – Eyebrows I have lost so far. But it’s just a matter of time and it’s gonna be weird.

2 – Episodes of passing out at the oncology clinic.

7 – Approximate number of nurses staring at me when I regained consciousness.

14 – Meals we have had good friends make and deliver to our house.

2 – Grandmas that have come for extended stays to help take care of our boys.

12 – Approximate number of times each day that Shanda asks me, “Are you OK?”

12 – Inches long for each tile on the oncology floor at the hospital.

250 – Number of tiles a person travels if they make a lap around the oncology floor.

21 – Laps around the oncology floor to make 1 mile.

3 – Miles I walked during my last hospitalization.

7 – References to
Kojak or Mr. Clean when people hear about or see my bald head.

11 comments:

Jenni said...

It is not "just vomit", Aaron. It is the feeling you get before, during, and after. Not to mention the fact that you then have to swear off ever eating what you threw up ever again. It is traumatic. I'm glad you handle it well, this pregnant woman does not!!!

Praises on being 25% finished!!!

andy titus said...

NUMBERS and lots of them. 25% is a good number (thanks for listing that, I'm one of the statistically challenged) and carries a feeling of accomplishment! 7 nurses, they are funny creatures. With all that medical training, what are they doing when you pass out? Staring at you! LOL. 7 references to tv characters. I thought more about your dad than those two guys. It is a long way go to look like your dad!(Sorry Dave, a shameless joke at your expense)

Anonymous said...

Let's be honest here A... with the exception of the eyebrows, are you really going to look any different? ;)

25%... that is awesome. You handled the last one like a pro...

-sk

Anonymous said...

You walked 63 laps? That's awesome--much better than sitting around waiting for your next vital sign check. Maybe you could challenge someone (or someones) next time in honor of the Olympics...it could be the oncology ward marathon!

Seriously, a hearty CONGRATS on being 25% done!!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron
Its your favorite Aunt.Hope all is well with you and your family. I am thinking of you and still praying for you. Bert help me get on your blog.Which i will beable to read now.Today is Sat.Aug 9th.It is raining here this AM.
Love You Aunt JoAnn

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

Assigning numbers to constructs (quantification) is an excellent way of keeping track of one's progress. But remember to take things one day, one step at a time. It's okay to acknowledge that cancer is taking center stage of your life right now. Let your friends and colleagues continue to be with you through this. No, most of us don't know how you feel. But we are here for you.

Oscar

Craig Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig Smith said...

How about 19? As in 19 songs that I sent you and have yet to hear what you thought...

It just hurts, Aaron. It just hurts.

Anonymous said...

3 - Friends that need you to hurry up... S.M.O.D. is waiting.

28.5 - inches - still holding the record (held by me of course)

0 - Times I have lost at this little adventure.

0 - Times the Host has won!!!

1 - Pt. for Keeper Trout

1 - Pt. for Keeper Red

-1 - Pt. for Cat

3 - Pts. for Biggest Red

2 - Pts. for Biggest Trout

8295 - Total face value of my poker chip set split 4 ways.

$55.95 - Menu price of the "Super Duper Combo" including Blue Crab, Shrimp, Snow Crab, King Crab, Stone Crab, Crawfish, Sausage, Potatoes, Corn and Bread - All dumped on your table with a Mallet for your destruction. http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-83101593226443_1988_526435

$2.99 - Cost of one movie rental - for something absolutely mind numbing - Like "Joe Dirt"

{REALLY BIG NUMBER HERE} - Amount of times that you are in all of our prayers, thoughts, memories and usually on the bad side of our jokes.

"1" - Aaron New! Able to inspire us all to be better than we ever can hope to be.

Anonymous said...

How about one "Dream Team" that is praying for your speedy recovery!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.