Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

GIG #2 - Meet the Staff

Since day 1 of this ordeal, every single person – every doctor, every nurse, every receptionist – has been pleasant to work with. There’s not been one person that I’ve had issues with. Now, there are some people that I enjoy more than others due to personality, similar interests, etc. But there’s not been anyone that I’ve thought to myself, “ooh, I don’t really like them,” Of all the things I am thankful for, this is at or near the top of the list. I’m not sure it would be for everyone else, but for a people person like me, this is extremely important.

There’s Dr. Thomas Reid, who shoots straight in his discussions and is accessible, confident, and honest. He makes me feel like we are on a team together, battling this cancer. He credentials are outstanding – like being the Chief of Oncology at
Walter Reed Hospital before coming to Conway. And anybody who has both and MD and PhD has got to be pretty smart, right?

You can read an article about him here –
http://www.thecabin.net/stories/062908/loc_0629080015.shtml
Or visit his hospital staff page here –
http://www.conwayregional.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=50&action=detail&ref=284

And there’s all the nursing staff at the clinic, too. It is hard to describe how good they are. They all have found the ability to show compassion without showing pity. They are empathetic without being sympathetic. They take cancer and treatment seriously, but don’t take the rest of life too seriously.

There’s Cathy, who was with us when we got the news of the kind of cancer and its staging and who has gone out of her way to educate us on all sorts of things related to cancer and quality of life. There’s Lesa, who says if she were in charge of all my neupogen shots in the belly, she would have done them in a pattern – the tiny bruises giving me a temporary tattoo. There’s Dena, who I know has struggled with cancer in her own immediate family. There’s Laura and Amanda, who usually do my labwork and tease me about passing out while keeping one eye on me just in case I do it again. There’s Sonja, who I found holding my feet up once I regained consciousness from passing out. Next time I’ll see if she’ll massage them while she’s at it. There’s Maria, who I’ve called Marilyn maybe more than once but she doesn’t hold it against me. There’s Darla, Tammy, Amy, and Diane, all who have made me feel welcome and cared for.

Any time you name names like this, you run the risk of leaving someone out. I don’t think any of the nurses know about this blog. But knowing Conway, somebody somewhere will point it out to one of them someday. So I should say, with all honesty and sincerity, that I appreciate every single one of the nurses there. And some day later, I’ll highlight the staff at the hospital, too.

If/when you think of it, remember Dr. Reid and all the nurses by name in your prayers. Thank God for such competent compassionate folks

Status update: My white blood cell counts and
anc counts are up (this is a good sign that my immune system is rebounding from round 2). But my red blood cells were getting pretty low. So I am – as I blog right now – getting a transfusion. I haven’t had any trouble with it so far. I have a CT scan scheduled for tomorrow.

5 comments:

Holly said...

Those nurses are the greatest--and so are the doctors. My grandmother is with Dr. Tsuda, but I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Reid.

andy titus said...

Glad to hear that the Drs and Nurses are treating you so well. That must make treatment more bearable.

Anonymous said...

Dr. New,
You, your Dr., and the nurses are in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

So I definitely agree with you (since Krystalynn has been in the ICU for just over a year now dealing with so many tragic situations on a daily basis) these people have some type of magical way of being compasionate without the pity... They are absolutely in my prayers...

Now - on a different note - I noticed that you recently changed your blog page intro... Would my comments be falling into the wierd or funny categories?

Aaron New said...

Bret, I assume ALL of your comments are either of the weird or funny variety.

You've gonna have to go out of your way to make sure I know if/when you are serious!