Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

An Open Letter to My Wife

Shanda,

Writing a letter like this is much more than just nerve-wracking. It feels impossible. But as I near the end of my treatment, I want to publically (and quite inadequately) express my love and appreciation for what you’ve done for me the past six months.

From the very beginning you have been my rock. When I had my colonoscopy and the doctor told us I had a cancerous tumor, you kindly and calmly explained to me the results several times as my head cleared of the anesthesia and I tried to understand what was happening. As we talked to Dr. Reid about my kind of cancer and what the treatment was going to be like, you asked the important questions and took notes as my head was swimming. In the beginning, you drove me to all my appointments and hospitalizations and stayed with me to be sure I was OK. Toward the end, you let me drive myself or you dropped me off at the curb of the hospital and then let the church choir tease you about it. When I had a scary reaction to the immunotherapy (like crazy shivering and passing out), you held my hand. When I had the worst headache of my life and just couldn’t stand it anymore, you came in the middle of the night and brought me one hot wash cloth after another until we got it under control. When I was in the critical care unit for a ridiculously low heart rate, you were there to reassure me that everything was going to be OK. During my hospitalizations you brought me decent food every chance you had. You gave me my neupogen shots at home when I needed them and flushed my hickman catheter lines. When I felt like I was falling apart, you sat and held me and offered words of encouragement and hope.

You managed our three boys at home without much help from me. You kept them fed, got them off to school, and did all the hard work of raising a newborn. You gave them good experiences during Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas (for all of which I was absent). You were instrumental in Parker accepting Jesus as his Savior. You kept track of our insurance coverage and bills, even when it was exceedingly frustrating. You’ve done precious little grumbling or complaining when my treatment caused you more work and created chaos in our lives. You’ve made many sacrifices the past six months for my sake, some of which I know about and others that I’m sure I don’t. There’s much more to be said, but when it comes down to it, you gave me tremendous strength and you kept our family together.

I couldn’t have survived these past six months without you.

I will do my best to express my gratitude privately and for a long time to come, but right now I want my small, public world of blog readers to know what a wonderful woman I think you are. While you deserve the accolades of a
Proverbs 31 woman, I’ve stumbled over my words and offered only a meager statement of appreciation. While you deserve the greatest of rewards, what you’ll end up getting is a trip to Larry’s Pizza.

Thank you, Shanda. There just aren’t enough words to express my love and appreciation for you. I’m sorry I can’t be at home with you and the boys this Christmas, but I’m looking forward to spending many, many more Christmases with you.

I love you more than I can say.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Aaron. I thank God that He has continued to pour His grace on you. He always will.

Oscar

Anonymous said...

Prayers for you both on this Christmas and beyond

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas honey!
Dad and I love you, Shanda and the "boys" so very much! We too are so very grateful God brought Shanda into your life! You both are blessed because of your love for one another!
Mom

andy titus said...

Since I have never had the pleasure of meeting Shanda I can not speak of anything other than what you and your parents have said, but from what you have said I think proverbs 31 is a very accurate description. Many women do noble things but she has surpassed them all, and she has definately brought honor to your name and home!

God bless you all this Christmas season.

Anonymous said...

That is so nice. I know it will mean a lot to Shanda and will encourage her now and in the future. Love and Prayers, Tricia

Jenni said...

This is so sweet. Shan rules! :)

Anonymous said...

We love her too, A. But don't think she isn't building up massive credit for this! Ha! I am guessing the scrapbook trip is just the tip of the iceberg. Don't worry, Jen's credit bank is full too.

-sk

Anonymous said...

An Open Paragraph to Aaron & Shanda:

You guys are...are...are...(I can't think of words that don't sound corny). You guys are the bomb. If God's refining fire makes us come forth as gold, you two are looking awfully shiny from here.
Thanks for opening your story book for all to see. We cannot wait to see how God continues to use you and show His amazing grace...but I'm sure it's beyond all you could ask or imagine.
Lifting you up: Shawn & Amber

Anonymous said...

Your wife is awesome! I was one of her students for the past year at CBC. She has shown tremendous strength and professionalism in the classroom. I know that on some days her head must have been spinning with the things she had to do, still she remained focused and dedicated to doing her job well. She is strong and that did not go unnoticed. She has a great ability to teach, not just in the classroom but with her life.

Anonymous said...

What a treasure read this letter. I am a co-worker of Mandy's and happened upon your blog from her own. I am the wife to a wonderful husband...and thus far have not encountered such illness in our lives.... However, I feel that someday that moment will come...and I will strive to do for my husband what your wife has lovingly done for you. God bless you all....may you all enjoy a blessed time of togetherness now that you are reunited at home.