Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, December 22, 2008

A Hospitally Christmas

Yes, I know “hospitally” isn’t a real word. My spell checker tells me so. But it looks like that’s the kind of Christmas I’ll have this year.

I was admitted to the hospital yesterday with a fever and I’m getting some much needed platelet transfusions, blood transfusions, and antibiotics. And I’ll likely be here until after Christmas. That makes Shanda and me a little sad, but it’s all going to be OK. Maybe it won’t be so different than being home….

Instead of the boys waking me up at 6:00 am to open presents, the nurses will wake me up at 6:00 am to draw blood and get my vital signs.

And instead of hearing annoying, loud, and beeping toys for Cooper, I’ll hear annoying, loud, and beeping IV pumps by my bedside.

See, just the same as being home.

But as I’ve said before, I’ll willingly spend this Christmas at the hospital if it means I get to spend the next 50 at home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are having to spend Christmas at the hospital. We are still praying for you.

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Ok...everybody sing....."Dashing through the milk jugs..."
Sorry son, just shake your head and smile. I love you....dad

Anonymous said...

Have a holly, jolly Christmas. It's the best time of the year. We'll have snow and mistletoe and half gallon milk jugs......

Bummer about being in the hospital this week. But think how it would be if you didn't have the half gallon jugs.

Keep breathing, Aaron! I'll talk with you later. Oscar

Anonymous said...

Man, if I had a Sandi Patti Christmas album, I'd be shipping it your way(just to make your stay more pleasant, of course).

Praying God's richest gifts for you all this Christmas.
Love & Prayers,
Shawn & Amber and Crew