Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, December 15, 2008

Hope Deferred....

…..makes the heart sick (Proverbs 13:12)
…..makes the heart want to watch more UFC.
…..makes the heart want to eat more Snickers with Almonds.
…..makes the heart want to scream wildly at the top of his lungs and he would except that it would scare the other patients and upset the nurses and they might come running and inject him with Ativan or something to calm him down and if he kept screaming they might call security or try putting him in restraints.

I was scheduled to go home today. BUT, I have a house full of sick people. Two of the boys are just getting over some sort of stomach bug and Shanda just came down with it last night. I was a little concerned about going to a home steeped in germs and/or viruses, so I mentioned it to my doctor this morning. She recommended that I stay in the hospital another day to help avoid getting sick myself.

Did you catch that? Stay in the hospital. To avoid getting sick. That just seems weird.

But I understand. So I get the joy of at least one more day in the hospital. We are just going to play it by ear tomorrow. My last spinal tap is scheduled for Wednesday, so I suppose it is possible they will keep me until that is done. But if it is any longer than that, I’m gonna need the restraints.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what's for lunch then? dh

Aaron New said...

That's nice of you, Dave. I'm not feeling much like lunch today, though. This is about the time when I start having a pretty lame appetite. I'll probably just snack on some stuff around here and then try to get a good nap in.

Anonymous said...

that's fine. have a snickalmond bar on me.

Anonymous said...

Oh Aaron, I'm so sorry! I'm also a little leary I may be next on the getting sick list...... but better me than you! I feel fine so far.
Hang in there Bub!
Love you !
Mom

Anonymous said...

You can't win for losing man! Wow! I hope Shanda and the boys get to feeling better and that you get to watch plenty of UFC.

-sk

Anonymous said...

Be thinking of what you would like to eat Thursday night - it is my turn again! I pray that everyone is feeling better!