Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Home Stretch Gets Ugly

Grumble.

Nothing witty tonight - just an update as I try to knock out these last few days of treatment.

If you read my post on Monday, you know I got a bonus day in the hospital because Shanda and 2 of the boys had some kind of stomach bug. Well, Monday night I spiked a fever here at the hospital. Again, fevers are NEVER good for cancer patients whose immune systems are already taking a pounding. So, I got to stay in the hospital another day. In addition to the fever (that now has gone away), I've had a pretty persistent headache the past two days. That was a bit of a concern for my doctors, so I got to have a consultation with a neurologist and they did a MRI on my brain. (Good news - I have a brain and the MRI looked OK.)

Other people have those kind of headaches regularly. But since I've never really had a two-day headache before, the doctors were a little concerned. I get to have another MRI on my spinal column tomorrow. Then I get to have a spinal tap.

If things go as planned tomorrow and if the next few days go as they have in previous rounds, then here's how my near future looks....

I'll get my LAST - yes my very LAST - spinal tap tomorrow. That will be 16 since this summer and it will mark the end of my chemo treatment. Then after a few days, my white blood cell count will plummet and I'll get sick or run a fever or something and end up back in the hospital again. I'll be in the hospital to get antibiotics and stuff for several days and I'll be cutting it very close to get back out before Christmas. In fact, we are half-way planning on me spending Christmas here at the hospital. We'll just have to see, I guess.

So, I've tied a knot at the end of my rope and I'm hanging on for a little while longer.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is john and my aunt
Frances Logan from Wichita Kansas
told me about you when I told her
my big brother is fighting burkitts
and I thought it would be nice to share and posibly compare the experience you are having.
if you dont mind.

john allen, davenport ia
john.allen4@mchsi.com

Aaron New said...

I don't mind at all, John. I'll email you.

david b mclaughlin said...

Havent posted much but I have been reading and been praying for you.

Btw-LOVE the new pic!

dm

The Walker said...

Aaron,

Stay focused. Keep hanging in there. It's still messy and cold outside. Stay indoors.

Oscar

Anonymous said...

Aaron - I always suspected you had a brain - growing up in Kansas and pulling for UNC always made me wonder though? Glad the MRI confirmed :)

Hope all goes as smooth as possible this week so you will be able to spend Christmas at home and be ready to start the new year on a good note.

Take care and Merry Christmas.

Ryan

Unknown said...

I haven't said anything to you in a while...just wanted to tell you to hang in there! Praying for you!

Kyle Alfriend said...

Hello Aaron-

I just came across your blog and it brought back a lot of memories.

My 16 year old son has just finished 8 rounds of chemo for advanced stage IV Burkitt's Lymphoma. It was a very long journey, but he is now in remission.

We also started off with an inital diagnosis of Chrone's desease. Then Burkitt's was found in every major organ and 85% of his bone marrow. Then high dose chemo treatments brought on leukemia.

Today, after lots of prayers, lots of support, lots of faith, and several hospitals, he is in complete remission.

We will keep you in our prayers. My son, Tyler, also has a blog set up to track his progress.

Kyle Alfriend

TylerAlfriend.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Aaron- You know I can relate to the headache and I am so sorry. I'm hoping they gave you some medicine that finally helped. We are praying for you in the home stretch!