Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine

[At creation] the familiar first “not good” is that Adam was alone, and this aloneness was not good even before sin entered the picture. It is incredibly important for us to grasp the circumstances of this problem. Adam is alone, and he is still a perfect creation of God. No sin was blocking his intimacy with the One who had formed him from the dust, and yet he was alone, and it wasn’t good.

So how did God respond? Did He chastise Adam for being lonely and then tell him to get over it or to just trust Him more? Did He give Adam three drinking buddies and a television so they could watch Monday Night Football together? Okay, then what about two wives, a wife and a mistress, or a succession of wives? Or how about this: God could give Adam lots of stuff and a busy schedule to dull his senses and help him forget that he was lonely.

None of those was part of God’s answer to the loneliness problem. God’s solution for the pain of being alone was Eve.

God provided a solution for loneliness, the result of a situation He had created in the first place. God created Adam’s loneliness because He knew beforehand that He had a perfect solution. Then God revealed to Adam the mystery of why he existed in a state of perfection and yet felt alone: Adam was lonely because, without his wife, part of him was missing. Even though Adam was created in God’s image, without Eve he didn’t yet fully represent God’s image.


I read these words of Tim Alan Gardner (from his book
Sacred Sex) and found something resonating with my spirit.

I am forever grateful for my wife. She is God’s blessing to me and I would indeed be utterly and desperately alone without her.

No comments: