Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, February 15, 2008

Authentic Sexuality, part 4

I start blogging on sex and the comment streams dry up like the Sahara. Go figure. But I am not deterred…..

Thursday, our class discussed marriage as the specific vehicle for true sexual fulfillment. Part of our time was spent reviewing the four theological themes and how they are worked out in marriage. We also spent some time reviewing the common sexual struggles married couples face. In our discussion, we noted that men and women seem designed with different needs, wants, and views of sex, love, and intimacy. But it was difficult to verbalize.

Some students have heard this for example. “Men need sex to feel loved. Women need love to enjoy sex.” While overly simplistic and an overgeneralization, there is likely some truth to this idea. As a rule, men need sexual acceptance from their wives in order to fully experience warmth, closeness, and intimacy. As a rule, women need to feel cherished, valued, and secure in order to fully experience sexual fulfillment.

With this in mind, there is often a relationship cycle at work here. In a negative cycle, it might look like the first diagram above – (keep in mind the cycle can start at any point). In a positive cycle, it might look like the second diagram above.

My students seemed to find some value in this concept. But here’s where I call on comments from the rest of the peanut gallery. Are there any brave married souls out there that would like to either confirm or deny this dynamic in their relationship? Anonymous posters are welcome, if that helps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The simplified phrase "men need sex to feel love, women need love enjoy sex" is a phrase/idea that I was familiar with when I got married...and you could say I really embraced the idea. As a wife I want the love, kissing, and cuddling and I know my husband wants the intercouse. Knowing this has honestly increased my sexual fulfillment and given me a greater desire and desire that is more in tune with my husband.

david b mclaughlin said...

You nailed it here. When we first had kids my wife was kinda busy being a mom and getting her sleep and all and though I knew this intellectually I still felt kinda rejected and it bothered me. The rejection cycle is completely accurate.

Then as the kids got older the tide turned and the other cycle is now completely accurate.

One thing the guys really need to remember is the more they can help with all the house stuff the happier the wife will be!

Anonymous said...

Amen to "the more they [guys] can help with all the house stuff the happier the wife will be." So true.

Skerrib said...

Yes, absolutely to both cycles.